ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
mj Offline OP
i just have the basic tools on my belt, what about you? i have seen guys with a 30lb tool belts. needed tools: muli-purpose screw driver/ lineman's pliers/stripers/ knife/phase tape/ volt-tester/ what else guys? if you over load the tool belt, tools will fall all over the place, not to mention the weight of the belt. what do you have on your tool belt?

P
Same here MJ. I just carry the screwdrivers I use the most, ditto pliers, cutters, strippers, and so on.

If I'm working near my toolbox I'll just pick up and put down other tools as I need them, or if I have to climb a ladder or otherwise work out of reach of the box, I'll just add the tools I need for that portion of the job.

C
mj & paul - Is this what your tool bags normally look like? http://www.diamondbackusa.com/electool.htm

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 11-30-2002).]

Curt Swartz
M
mj Offline OP
caselex, i try to "slim-line" by tool belt,using multipurpose tools. you can tell how long a person as been an electrician by the number of tool on his belt." old vets carry few tools"

W
I carry my pouch over my shoulder and lay it down next to my work. Mostly end up working with a pair of linesman and a 6-way screw driver, like to keep it light, always did.

C
mj - I know what your after I was just being sarcastic here with the extreme opposite. I carry quite a few tools in my tool bags but try and remove what I don't think I'll need for the day in the morning. When I'm in the field I usually spend the entire day doing one type of work such as rough-in, trim-out, bending pipe, etc. so I have an idea of what tools I'll need. For service work I often don't even wear my tool bags and will just put a combination screw driver, stripers, wiggy and a few wire nuts in my pockets.

Curt

Curt Swartz
I was one of those that wore a 20 lb toolbelt, complete with: wire-strippers, NM-strippers, volt-probe, needle-nose, torpedo level, linesmans, dikes, crimpers, taps, three flat-head screwdrivers, two phillips (#1 & #2), 1/4" & 5/16" nut drivers, wirenut-wrench, two shorty screwdrivers, three colors of tape, knife, channel-locks, 16 oz hammer, tape measurer, and 14.4V drill/driver.

Having the last three on the left and the rest in a tool-pouch on the right balances things pretty well, but suspenders are a must when carrying this much.

Lat year I herniated a disc catching a slipping ladder. My chiropractor says no more tool-belts...

So...

I still wear a carpenter's belt for rough-ins, with simply tape measurer, hammer, knife, one flat screwdiver, strippers and dikes, with lots of staples and wirenuts in the pockets.

The only time I wear the other belt (with most of the not-needed-now tools left on the tailgate) is on ladders, or where leaving them somewhere would be inconvenient.

I hate walking back to the truck...

Side note:

Being only about 140 lbs, I've had to wear my belt once while trenching with a 30" ditch witch. It was one of the older ones that used the "see-saw" method of steering, and I wasn't heavy enough to counter balance the front end without my toolbelt on!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-30-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
M
I also believe in carrying tools that perform more than one function in my tool belt, such as Klein 10-in-1. But, I don't leave the house without my Leatherman Super Tool. It has saved me many trips to the van.

One time I was in a crawl space and used it to saw a furring strip out of my way. I've also used the saw on it for PVC upto 1" in a pinch and use it all of the time to cut drywall. (I don't cut alot of drywall)

These are only the uses for the saw. Don't even get me started on the other functions.

When I had my own business, new hires were issued a small Leatherman tool, a non-contact voltage sensor and a Sharpie. They were required to have them on them at all times.

On the one year anniversary of thier hiring, they recieved an engraved super tool. Even the secretary got one! (She loved it)

Most employees laughed at the idea of the Leatherman tools but after having them and using them for a while they said they even carried it at all times when they weren't working.

Do any of you guys use these or simular tools?

(PS: I am not being compensated in any way by the Leatherman company.) [Linked Image]

F
I wear a Klein Powerline belt with linemans(with crimp die), 10-in-1, angle head dikes, can wrench, knife, roll of Super 33+ and torpedo level on one side and the 3 pocket bag on the left with crimps&caps, Tek screws and fittings. I also have a 25' magnetic ended tape measure on the belt. When I'm working off of a lift I have a milk crate or two with hooks bolted on one side that I hang on the railing to keep tools and materials in. It beats bending over to get stuff out of a bucket and allows me to go without the toolbelt.

N
The usual contents of mine:

Klein 10-in-1 screwdriver
Lineman's pliers
Voltage detector pen (Fluke)
3 light outlet/GFCI tester
Strippers
Roto-Split BX stripper
Mini-Mag flashlight
Pouch w/handful of wirenuts, redheads, AC/NM connectors, staples.
Black and White tape.
Utility knife.

If doing a rough-in, I add a medium framing hammer.

As far as a Leatherman type tool goes, one is generally on my belt or in my jacket pocket pretty much all the time, on the job or not. Handy little gadget, that has saved the day more times than I can count. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 11-30-2002).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard