ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#176035 03/18/08 06:58 PM
B
bot540 Offline OP
Just wondering how many guys go through this on a regular basis and how do you handle it. I have found it is a part of being in business and have started to learned how to deal with it.
I had a contractor we've been doing work for about 6 months tell me that I am high on everything, but then follows up with but at least the job gets done right. I don't get it.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
bot540 #176040 03/18/08 08:54 PM
L
LK Offline
No matter what your price is the GC's will complain, if you reduced the price tommorow to 1/2 of what you are charging, he would still complain, and they up cut in half again and he would still be looking for lower pricing, but remember whatever you price it at he will adjust it up to retail plus 100% when he bills the customer.

LK #176046 03/18/08 10:16 PM
L
Give the number. With cotton in your ears first.
No one is allwowed to turn a proffit aside from the GC.
The sooner you learn this the quicker you can cover exspences.

leland #176049 03/18/08 10:31 PM
S
The hardest part of quoting a job is to give the price to the customer. If you quote them honestly and fairly, your price should be competitive with others. Let it stand. If you don't get the job, you don't want it. I'm not going to work and not make any money, I can do that from the house. Show up on time, do what you say you will do, be professional, charge reasonably, you'll get all the work you need.

If the GC tells you to "sharpen your pencil" tell him you'll go over your figures again.

Then you can tell him you DID miss something, and thank him for saving your butt.

Then raise the original price by 50%

L
Originally Posted by electure
If the GC tells you to "sharpen your pencil" tell him you'll go over your figures again.

Then you can tell him you DID miss something, and thank him for saving your butt.

Then raise the original price by 50%

I like that!!!! Thanks.
It makes perfect sence!!!

leland #176066 03/19/08 11:02 AM
Z
Grampa told me long ago, "don't give your trade away for free". Words of wisdom, I'd say.

Zapped #176070 03/19/08 11:11 AM
G
One of the most important lessons any businessman needs to learn is when to just say no. It is better to let the competition lose money on a job than to "win" them all.

Greg Fretwell
L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by schenimann
If you quote them honestly and fairly, your price should be competitive with others.

Honest and fair may not be a good measure, everyone has their own ideas on what is being honest, and fair, and being competive with others is a very dangerous business move, the other guy may have no idea of how to plan for profit, he may of never made a profit.

LK #176092 03/20/08 07:25 AM
From LK..."Honest and fair may not be a good measure, everyone has their own ideas on what is being honest, and fair, and being competive with others is a very dangerous business move, the other guy may have no idea of how to plan for profit, he may of never made a profit."

Competition on an 'even field' vs. competition from 'trunk slammers' is a ongoing problem. Survival (financial) in today's economy is a challenge to say the least. IMHO, those of us that have a good, solid business relationship with the GC's, owners, or clients that we service have a much better shot.

What some may or may not 'do' to keep the shop 'busy'..cut profits, do the job for 'cost' & wait for 'better days'?

John

Link Copied to Clipboard