ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 476 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
MJR Offline
some days, my most useful tool is a hammer!

Hey guys, how common is the use of the Robertson square-drive screw-driver, in the US?,it was invented in Canada, was'nt it?.
Everyone uses them over here in NZ, so to remove any of these screws, you have to have the driver. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-14-2002).]

A
Trumpy,

Some of the panel manufacturers are using combo robertson/slot head screws now for bus terminals. All device mounting (strap) screws are combo slot/phillips (and mostly poor quality).

So which island are you on? DW and I spent 10 days on the South Island in February. It was all beautiful; my favorite area was the Otago penninsula. The fijordlands a close second. Nice people, too. I did take some shots of the receptacle outlets (interesting, every one is switched at the outlet), and the funky mini-circuit breaker panels in the motel rooms we were in.

Cliff

Amp-man,
I come from Ashburton, which is around about the middle of the South Island, but nearer the East coast.
The switches on the sockets you saw, are required by law and the RCD/GFCI sockets in the motels(bathroom?), are also required, as this is a Damp area. [Linked Image]

R
I traded my belt in for one of these bad boys:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

www.utilikilts.com

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 05-24-2005).]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Whenever I help my dad, or work on personal items around the home, I wear a carpenters' belt. Not meant for electricians, but suits me for my age, leather and light weight. In it I have my wire cutters, linemans' pliers, needlenoses, wirestrippers, 4-in-1 screwdriver, electrical tape, volt probe, a "Cable Clamp" (one of those plastic clamps they sell everuwhere now, just comes in handy), and a pair of Klien Electrical Shears (for cutting tape.) If I need to carry something else, like, I don't know, a friendly hammer or mallet, it goes through a belt hoop. Need an extension cord, carry it on the shoulder.
Ian

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Cat Servant
Who needs a tool belt? It's the job of the apprentess to carry things :-)

G
When I get a new apprentice the first thing I do is make him (her, especially her) take most of the crap out of their belt and put it in their tool box. I'm 50 and my hips and low back are shot from wearing too much, too long. It's not worth it.

Whenever I help my dad, or work on personal items around the home, I wear a carpenters' belt. Not meant for electricians, but suits me for my age, leather and light weight. In it I have my wire cutters, linemans' pliers, needlenoses, wirestrippers, 4-in-1 screwdriver, electrical tape, volt probe, a "Cable Clamp" (one of those plastic clamps they sell everuwhere now, just comes in handy), and a pair of Klien Electrical Shears (for cutting tape.) If I need to carry something else, like, I don't know, a friendly hammer or mallet, it goes through a belt hoop. Need an extension cord, carry it on the shoulder.
Ian

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
J
tool belt:
Screwdriver Klein 10 in 1
Screwdriver 3/16 x 6 with wirenut wrench
Screwdriver 3/8 x 6 square shank
Lineman's pliers Klein D213-9NETP
Needlenose pliers Klein D203-8N
Diagonal cutter pliers Klein 220-7
Pump Pliers Klein D502-10
stripper / crimper GB GS-70
or
stripper romex Klein 1412