ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Y
Is there anywhere where theres a listing of the major Electrical differences between the 2005 NEC and Michigan residental code currently in effect??
YoopersUP

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
Sorry for the delay on replying to your question, but unfortunately I don’t know of any publication that lists the differences between the MRC and the NEC. For those that aren’t from Michigan the MRC is the International Residential Code that the State of Michigan adopts as its own residential code. The MRC takes precedence to the NEC on residential projects but the NEC takes precedence on anything other than residential dwellings and installations not covered in the MRC. The 2003 MRC, or IRC if you will, does have appendix “L” at the back of the book that cross references the code articles between the IRC and the NEC. The 2006 IRC which is not yet adopted by our state has the same cross reference in the back of the book under appendix “Q”. While these appendixes don’t give the differences between the two codes, at least it provides a quick place to cross-reference the articles without having to strain your brain remembering all those old code articles.

Regards,

Elec N Spec

Last edited by Elec N Spec; 03/27/08 09:39 AM.
T
I was just asked by a rental preoperty owner what it means if his violation sheet says 'Update according to MRC 2003 Chapters 33-42'

I tried looking it up on the internet, nuttin.

So I told him to just make sure he has GFCI and smoke detectors where needed.

I was thinking maybe I need to buy a copy of that book.

Shake n Bake
G
You can purchase a copy of the Michigan Residential code from the State at a fee of $45.00 for the 2003 edition. Or you can wait and purchase the 2006 edition in about August of this year for about $75.00. If you really want one at a good price send me a private message.

As for the code violation- the referenced Chapters are for installing new work or making repairs. The requirements are similar to the requirements in the 2005 NEC. I should also say that the code is not retroactive and by State law a community can not force a home owner to bring his house up to current code on most things. The State has passed a law some time ago regarding Smoke Alarms for older houses but nothing about GFCI included in the code unless you change the receptacle. I should also mention that in Appendix J of the MRC there are some requirements for existing dwellings that kick in when there is remodeling involved.

Maybe the violation was saying repairs were needed and the repairs needed to comply with Chapters 33-42 because thats wording is in the Appendix. Normally the Appendix is not part of the code but the State, in this case, enforces it.

Last edited by George Little; 03/29/08 12:17 AM.

George Little

Link Copied to Clipboard