ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#175753 03/10/08 05:43 PM
E
i got a call to check pool lights for a costumer and noticed there was no #8 ground wire on any of the 2 pumps, lights, heaters, transformers,or sub panel.i didn't see any #8 solid at all in the sub panel.there was a stranded #8 or 10 from main panel.no ground rods at sub. they said the house was 6-8 years old.everything had lugs big enough for #8 including pumps.

my question is- does anyone know the codes for pool bond about 9-12 years ago?
i don't mess with pools much and am a new contractor.
i don't have code books past 2002.
since it's a ingrond concrete pool would the concrete act as a ground for the light, railing, and screen enclosure?
thanx for ur help.............

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

K
The #8 solid bonding requirement for pools has been in the code longer than I have been in the trade, and that’s since the early 1980's.
The #8 doesn’t need to go back to the panel, it only bonds the pool associated equipment together to create the equipotential bonding grid.

KJay #175758 03/10/08 06:20 PM
E
same grid meaning light, transformer, pool pumps, railing,heater, screen enclosure,etc. right?

G
You should also be picking up the rebar in the pool shell. If you don't see some #8 solid anywhere I am guessing this was not built with a permit. The bonding should have been inspected at least twice and maybe 3 times

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #175775 03/11/08 08:15 AM
B
We do three bonding inspections here in North Port. One at the shell, on at the deck, and one at the final.

I agree with Greg. If metal parts of the pool are not included in with the rest of the equipotential grid, such as shell steel, deck steel, metal handrails, niche light forming shell, metal within 5' of the water, ect..., a shock potential will be established between conductive parts.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
M
2002 NEC 680.26
The following needs to be bonded:
1. Metallic structural components
2. Underwater lighting (except listed LV w/ non-metallic forming shells)
3. Metal fittings (except for fittitng <4" in dimension that penetrate <1" into pool structure)
4. Electrical Equipment
5. Metal wiring methods and equipment within 5' horiz or 12' vertically

(c) ...with a solid copper conductor, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8AWG.

hth. Mike

Mike Wescoatt
E
the same grid means all brought back to same ground bar or can the pumps be taken off pool panel and the rest be bonded to a ground rod???

L
NOT GROUNDED. Just "bonded".

1 solid #8 from point to point to point unbroken. so essentialy they become 1 piece of metal, all of the same potential.

leland #175803 03/11/08 08:28 PM
B
The pool is already in contact with the Earth. Grounding of the pool and equipment will serve no purpose. The equipment grounding of the equipment will provide the effective fault path back to the source, while the equipotential bonding "shorts" out the battery created by the metal pool parts.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
S
That, and although water and earth are conductors, they're relatively poor conductors and can still set up a situation where a swimmer becomes a current carrier, which is far more dangerous in a pool than anywhere else due to the reduced skin resistance, nature of the circuit (current is very likely to pass through the heart), difficulty of breaking contact, high potential to drown, and difficulty of rescue as anyone trying to conduct a rescue would be at the same risk.

The equipotential bond ensures there will be no equipotential difference within the pool and pool area, so that even if a short were to occur, the entire pool will be at the same potential and no dangerous amounts of current can flow through the water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard