ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 263 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
When discussing terms used in the electrical industry on this board, we should keep in mind that some terms are different between various locations around the world, and may lead to confustion when questions are asked of those of us in the USA.

Can someone offer to post the terms to be used so as to avoid confusion.

For example, what is a "ring circuit" and a "spur" and does a "fitting" mean something like a "device" and others .. get the picture?

Look here http://www.osha-slc.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9976 for OSHA 1910.399 for the same terms used in NEC Article 100, at least those found in earlier NEC's.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-01-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
M
mj Offline
joe, some of the oldtimers still use watts instead of volt/amps for load calculations

P
Joe,
You make an excellent point. There are some substantial differences in terminology just between English-speaking countries, let alone considering how foreign terminology might be translated into English.

When talking with you in the States, I try to use terminology that will familiar, unless making the point requires use of the British terms or there is no easily interchangeable equivalent.

So, defined in terms that should be familiar to Americans, here are a couple to get you started.

Ring circuit:
(Peculiar to UK and a few British-influenced places.) A branch circuit in which phase and grounded conductor are wired in the form of a complete ring, starting and finishing at the C/B terminal and neutral bar of the distribution panel. There are thus two paths from the panel to any point of utilization. In the case of NM cable or single cables used in PVC conduit, the grounding conductor is also wired as a ring, each end being terminated at the ground bar in the panel.

Spur:
A branch cable feeding an outlet which takes its power from a single point on a ring circuit. "Outlet" in this sense may be a single or duplex receptacle, or a hard-wired connection unit incorporating a fuse to feed a fixed appliance.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-30-2002).]

D
Excellent point Joe,
I have been meaning to start a topic along these lines in the non US forum.
We could use a glossary of terms, I am not familiar with US terminology.
I have only worked in the UK & Australia, so consequently I am not comfortable using US terminology in the non US forum.
Do you think such a glossary may be possible so that we might all understand each other better?

C
I think a glossary of US and non-US terms is a great idea. A cross-reference between the terms would be good too.

Said glossary would probably live in the Technical Reference area.

Peter
P
David,
If you're not familiar with U.S. terminology, the difference between a grounded conductor and a grounding conductor might elude you at first.

The former is an earthed conductor carrying current under normal operation (i.e. a neutral, arguments over whether it is really a neutral in a 2-wire circuit notwithstanding [Linked Image]).

The latter is a protectiove earth, what in British termninology would be now termed a CPC, formerly an ECC. You'll also come across the abbreviation EGC, which means Equipment Grounding Conductor.

I hear our American friends puzzling over ECC and CPC, so here are two more terms:

CPC: Circuit Protective Conductor
ECC: Earth Continuity Conductor (obsolete)

J
i totally agree with Joe, as an electrical contractor here in the UK i have some trouble with the terminology used within the Forums (not all of it, just some of it)
IE what we call a socket outlet, you call a receptacle,

I gather that a panel board to you would be a mains distribution board to us,

and a CB would be a MCB (miniture ciruit breaker)

Is a GCFI an Earth Trip, or RCD to us,

as you see we over here would like to know more of what you do, and call it, over there. !

the more information the better, also what is a `wirenut` i have been called a few things before but only once have i been called that !!!!

LOL John Harrison, electrical/security consultant for Empire Construction & Developments LTD

john@empireconstructions.com

C
A "wirenut" is a slang term for a solderless, screw-on splicing device. "Wirenut" is a brand name of Ideal Corporation.

http://www.idealindustries.com/wt/TwistOnWireConnectors.nsf

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 12-01-2002).]

Peter
J
C T Wireman,
thanks for the info, i dont feel so silly now, ( well not that much anyway )

John H

Broom Pusher and
A Glossary for terms used here at ECN sounds like a great idea, and would be a long needed addition to the Technical Reference Section.

We are still in the process of compiling a Color Code database for the Reference Section, but can still begin collecting data for this Glossary.

If you wish to contribute information, either post it here or send it via E-Mail to Me, another Moderator, or to the Webmaster.

Check back here, or check the "Menu For Technical Reference Area", to find said Glossary.

Scott s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard