ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
ghost307 #176054 03/19/08 03:36 AM
Sorry to go way off topic (to a degree), guys,
I was reading an article in the June 1988 edition of Electronics Australia (yes, I collect these mags) and the article was talking about Geiger counters.

What sparked my interest about this article was that the author mentioned things like clocks and watches that had "glow-in-the-dark" faces and hands.

Now, the author was talking about after WWII when ladies were working in the clock and watch-making factories of places like then-Russia, to apply the paint to the certain parts of the face, etc they would dab the end of the brush on the end of their tongues, to help get the paint (which contained all sorts of nastiness) to stick to the metal.
Thousands of women died later on, at quite early ages, through what was known as "Radium Jaw".

Apparently, if you can find an old clock or watch that has one of these faces on it, you can still get quite a high reading of radio-activity with a Geiger counter.
We never used to worry about this sort of thing years ago, mind you, we have gone digital since then.

My apologies if I've taken this thread too far off topic.

Trumpy #176057 03/19/08 04:46 AM
T
Yes, my dad told me that long ago, the part with the radioluminescent hands... but he also said they only emitted alpha rays already blocked by the glass. Of course if you ingest that stuff or get it into your mouth... ouch!

My current wrist watch seems to have had such hands once... but they don't glow in the dark any more, they just react to UV light. No idea how old it is, it's a quartz wristwatch my grandmother gave to me (it once belonged to my grandfather).

Trumpy #176059 03/19/08 06:16 AM
Mike,

Ottawa, Illinois had two factories that painted watches in the same fashion

http://www.roger-russell.com/jeffers/radiumdials.htm

Tom
Scott35 #176100 03/20/08 02:27 PM
P
Originally Posted by Scott35
Seems kind of funny to install a Diode in front of other Diodes (the LEDs);)

There may be a good reason though. Many LEDs have a PIV (Peak Inverse Voltage) rating which is nowhere near as high as the PIV for a conventional silicon diode. When you run them on A.C., putting a diode in series will prevent the PIV of the LED from being exceeded.

pauluk #176106 03/20/08 03:08 PM
G
I am guessing the LED exit sign has protective diode inside. I like one forward biased in front of the LED and another reverse biased across the LED but that is a belt and suspenders approach. This was in my "capacitor voltage drop" scheme on an SSR.

Greg Fretwell
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard