ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Originally Posted by renosteinke
OK, just to play devils' advocate .... many of those porta-potties have sinks in them. Why should the receptacle requirement NOT apply? After all, many of them sit in the same place for years on end.....

Because that rule only applies to dwelling units.

Don(resqcapt19)
Cat Servant
I was waiting for someone to catch that 'detail,' Don laugh

S
I know a couple people who tend to spend all day in the can. I would consider it a dwelling since they seem to be living in there. smile

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
B
Originally Posted by sparkyinak
Originally Posted by renosteinke
After all, many of them sit in the same place for years on end.....

Are you talking about the porta jon or the ones who usually uses them all the time?

The few times I've used a porta potty, I've always wanted to get out of there as soon as I can ... I sure wouldn't sit in there any longer than necessary!

S
I'm confused as to why folks are confused by that picture--there is one of those on every major new-construction site around here. It's temporary power and the required porta-potty in one unit, from one place, for one rental fee. I take it that the rest of the country doesn't do it this way?

Cat Servant
I started this thread, and posted the picture, for two reasons.

First, I was feeling a bit playful ... and wanted to highlight the fact that the receptacle requirement applied only to residential restrooms. I may have been a bit wound up over this detail, having just had a disagreement with a 'home and business inspector' over this very point.

The second was a less obvious 'sore point' these temporary power drops cause: licensing. These skids are rented by the porta-potty folks. They even advertise temp power as one of their services. Yet, none of the local firms have the required EC license, or a licensed sparky on staff.

We would still need a permit before POCO would connect

Cat Servant
Doug, that seems to be where the local rules break down ... here permission of the AHJ is only required when you want the PoCo to power up an incomplete building system (as during construction). If they're just running to a pedestal, the PoCo will connect without a call from the AHJ.

Okay here it is called temporary power and the permit has to be renewed every 6 months declaring the Installation is still Safe

G
We inspect temp power here too (a 301)

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard