ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 471 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
John,

You just reminded me of another issue. Installing electrical panels in the wall or surface mounting. If it is on the wall between the garage and the living space in the house, would it be allowed?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Harold:
Yes, I'm a firm believer in prior field experience for a qualification for inspectors licenses. (I omitted this comment in the above post)

Book smart is a good thing, but experience sometimes can be much better.

John
F
Originally Posted by harold endean
John,

You just reminded me of another issue. Installing electrical panels in the wall or surface mounting. If it is on the wall between the garage and the living space in the house, would it be allowed?

That part is a fine line to walk but as far I know in Wisconsin if the panels are mounted on surface that is not a issue but in the wall { flush mounted } that can get sticky due the fire codes will trump this { I don't have excat art on this one }

However in Paris everything on panel have to be surface mounted if between the garage and living quarters { there are few other local codes will add along the way }

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Harold:
Any 'rated' wall cannot have a membrane (sheetrock) penetretion exceeding 100 sq inches, per 100 square feet, as I understand.

Surface mounting is acceptable, as long as there are no penetrations exceeding the above behind the panel.

Jurisdictional responsibilities are building along with elec, plumb & fire dependent on what the item is.

Sorry for the delayed response, I missed this one as you posted it.

John
G
I was surprised to find Florida only wants 15 minutes between the garage and the house and 1 hour in the ceiling if there was living space above it (based on the IRC)
When I was in Maryland (1978 or so) they wanted an hour on the wall too.
I see garages with hollow core doors here and that was what brought my attention to it.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

An FTO is formal technical opinion from the state in our Uniform Construction Code about fire rating in a dwelling, I will have to check it out when I get by my UCC code book.

H
John,

Another AHJ told me about the FTO in the UCC about fire rating in a dwelling unit. I haven't read it yet, I will when I get a chance.

Cat Servant
Anyone else think that the finer points of fire-rated construction deserves it's own thread?

Sounds like a plan Reno!
Let's get one going.

John
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard