ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#175477 03/02/08 02:35 PM
sbi Offline OP
hi all. i am about to accept a job has a mainteneance electrician. just wondering what kind of tools should i expect to take to work with me be sides the basics like my meters hand tools etc. any and all feed back will be greatly appericated

when in doubt jump it out
I happily work for slumlords
sbi #175480 03/02/08 02:54 PM
G
I would just start with the basics you have and see what you need after you get there. They may even have a lot of the special tools on site.

Greg Fretwell
B
That's a good question to ask at the interview...

The big difference between between tool use in construction and tool use in maintenance, is the way you carry your tools.

In construction, the usual gear is a tool belt and 5 gallon bucket to carry around your stuff. In maintenance work, I found a tool bag or tool cady worked best.

[Linked Image from harborfreight.com]

[Linked Image from mobile-shop.com]

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
sbi Offline OP
thanks for all the input sofar. I wanted to ask but they had a major problem when one of the key machines when i was interviewing so it was cut short

sbi #175497 03/02/08 11:04 PM
Cat Servant
Put away that checkbook!

Look around, and see how others there operate. I'd keep any meters, etc., at home, unless told to bring them in.
There are three reasons I say this: 1) Folks there aren't stupid; 2) Many such tools are company provided; and, 3) There may be ISO 9000 / calibration issues.

"Basic tools?" That's a laugh. Many 'standard' electrician tools you will never use (like, probably, a pipe bender) while other strange tools will see routine use (like a pin wrench).

I'd also see what the place has in mind for the security of your tools.

If there are any 'company' tools that you wish to personally own, I would make darn sure to get similar tools of a DIFFERENT make. It prevents misunderstandings later on.

Last edited by renosteinke; 03/11/08 10:57 PM.
sbi Offline OP
the company doesnot have much in the way of company tools. I have only seen 1 nylon fish tape 2 pairs of bolt cutters and 1 48" pipe wrench

sbi #175783 03/11/08 12:19 PM
J
The others are correct. You should not have to bring YOUR meter to work. Meters, knock outs, pipe benders ect....should be provided by the company. You should contact them before you go to work and ask them what you should bring. If they say "hand tools" just bring what you would normally carry in your tool pouch. You will not find many tool pouches in a maintenance setting. Roll around tool boxes are used alot. But I have only seen them used when the company provided them and all the tools to fill it up. I have reservations when you must bring your own tools into a manufacturing environment. It is usually a very good indication that they are CHEAP!!!!!!

Cat Servant
I'm going to re-phrase some points raised by another. I know, some topics can inspire passion - but here we do try to use complete sentences, and words of more than one syllable laugh

Maintenance electrical work is a world of its' own. The first rule is : Safety. Protect yourself. The company is required to provide you with the means to lock out equipment while you work on it. Use it.

Rule #2 is: Stick to your guns. If it needs fixing, fix it. It matters not how upset the production folks might get. It's just not worth it to cut corners, and have a greater disaster happen. Should such a disaster happen, you can be sure the very ones egging you on will insist they did otherwise.

Rule #3 is: Get educated. The company should provide you with some training; seek out additional training on your own. As a maintenance electrician, it's not enough to know your trade. You also need to understand the processes you need to control.
While all apprentice electricians get some training in motors, and their controls, it's well worth it to take some courses at your local college. It's a bit different from your usual 3-way switches laugh

Keep in mind that industrial sites have an entirely different sort of hazards than construction sites. You'll be exposed to mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, temperature, and electrical risks entirely different than what you see in construction.
Some things require special training .... if they point you to the high voltage gear, and expect you to 'figure it out' without first training and equipping you, run like mad from that place! Know your limits.

L
Guy, RENO Nailed it. Except for the complete sentence part, My spelling stinks and I try my best (not reely).

All true: in an environment such as research,manufactureing etc.. Be very carefull and DEMAND!!!!! the propper training.
or refuse the assignment.

I'm in a research area we have many biological,radiation hazards as well as chemical, with the production and research of the "micro-electronics", TONS of acids used for this stuff (always look ahead, NOT UP).

Always ask. If no answer. Then no work.

Nothing the employer can do. We have laws to protect you. Not to give any excuses for not doing your job.
Just info so you know YOUR RIGHTS! You do have them.

sbi Offline OP
well, they don't provide anything. they don't even have a megger( found this out the hard way to day) every body that works in this department has a rool a way but they are not company provided or supplied we don't even have a tool allowance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard