ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#175439 02/29/08 10:00 PM
C
Hi I have questions on which electrical organization You belong to and why? What are your benefits,what are your dislikes,Have You learn Some of the business aspects from this organizations and there members?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
S
I am a member of both the NFPA and IAEI. They are a valuable resource to me for the several hats I wear on the job and personal work. I have access to resources that have more then paid for themselves. The info I recieve through my membership (besides the junk mail) provides me info on trends and insight where the industry is at and where it is going so I can stay on top of things up here. Plus it looks cool on the business card. smile Just kidding.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
B
My suggestion is to become a member and get involved with local organizations and associations. While being a member of a national organization does have its benefits, I feel I receive very little benefit that applies to my work and my local community. An example would be the NFPA and ICC. Being a member is great, but not all that engaging.

On the other hand, as a member of my local IAEI division and chapter, and being a member of the Building Officials Association of Florida allows me to be involved in programs and on committees that directly effect my state and my work.

Home associations and other local builders groups are great as well. While not always directly related to the electrical industry, the interaction with trade groups and persons involved in the construction industry in general is always beneficial.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
A
IAEI- International Association Of Electrical Inspectors. $90 a year and open to all, not just inspectors. Well worth the cost. Membership includes their magazine and discounts on publications and seminars.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
B
Another thing to consider is joing an organization that not only provides YOU with benefits, but allows you to give back as well.

Many of us that participate on this forum are in a position to educate, mentor, and be role models for new generations of electrical apprentices and electricians.

So think about becomming a member of an organization that will allow you to do things you would likely not be able to do own your own.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
'Local' org's are the best, IMHO.
Around here (central NJ) the NJEIA. Yes, by name it's the NJ Electrical Inspectors Assoc., but EC's are members. Also, EC's are invited to join, or 'drop-in' at the regular monthly meetings. CEU's are available (1 hr) at each meeting, and additional CEU time is regularly scheduled in multi-hr. classes.

Also, there are local EC groups; NJECA, 4-County, etc.

John
B
John, Is the NJEIA tied in with the IAEI?

I know there is a New Jersey Chapter in Normandy Beach, and a South Jersey Chapter in Trenton.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
No, to the best of my knowledge........but, I will ask one of the officers Tues.
Now...Normandy Beach? right accross the bay? Didn't know that & I'll have to check it out. I was an IAEI member, and I thought they just vanished!

John
Link to NJEIA, if anyone is interested.....

www.njeia.com

John

Link Copied to Clipboard