ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#175189 02/24/08 01:50 PM
I was wondering what you are all prefering to use:A code book for the van/truck and a disc for the office.
A Handbook and disc
Books only.
Disadvanages and advantages?

I getting ready to order my 2008 materials.

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Ob:
I have a soft '08 & 'o5 NEC at office, and a set that are either 'home' or in my bag for the courses I teach.
I have '05 & '08 on CD in my laptop, and at the office. (Laptop goes to school too)
'05 & '08 Handbooks are in office.
'05 Handbook is on my laptop....waiting for the '08 (any day now)

Collections date back to '81 home, and further back at office. Through in lots of 'other' publications, changes, trade info, etc.

As to when I was just an EC, each truck had a soft cover current NEC, and my EC shop had copies also.
Soft covers took a beating in the trucks, but handy when needed.

As an AHJ now...soft cover in breifcase or Twp car suffice, Handbook and CD in office.

CD's make life real easy, as long as you have a PC/Laptop handy, plus the print option is nice.

John
B
I see no real point in having the NEC on disc when it is available for free online.

As a collector of NEC and other electrical books, I like having the real thing in my hands...

http://www.iaeifl.org/forums/ubbthr...2&type=m&My%20stuff%20N%20EC.jpg

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
W
soft cover book rides in console in truck. The 05 softcover is on my desk in the office, most AHJs in my area are still on the 05 code, hope they stay there

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
M
My soft cover NEC also took a beating in my van. I started drilling 3 - 3/8" hole through it and started putting it in a 3-ring binder a couple of code cycles ago. If you really want to get fancy you can scan or copy the cover of the book and put it on the front of the binder. My Books can ride around for 3 years without any damage (except for the holes)

S
A clean, non-abused code book is like showing up to the job site with clean workboots ot tool pouch. It looks unused smile

Last edited by sparkyinak; 02/25/08 10:12 PM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
S
I was taught that lesson well, especially as a young engineer, to NEVER show up on a jobsite wearing a clean hardhat. Don't have that problem anymore, heh.

I think you might get some slack for a nearly pristine copy of NEC 2008, though wink

S
I hear that. Back when I was a volunteer fireman, by chance when I was issued my bunker gear, I was issued a brand new pair of boots with had a bright, yellow toe section on each boot. I delibertly scuffed them. a seasoned memeber of the department told me when he was issued new buker gear, he put it in on and rolled around the parking lot just to get it dirty.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
I'm scuffed up enough myself to separate me from a "new guy".

Greg Fretwell
B
I heard a story once that a rookie firefighter cleaned all the gear (helmets and boots) of some of the other firefighters in his unit thinking he was doing them a great service and would be awarded for his chore.

Little did he know that all the guys got really, really, really upset with him as they consider the soot and grim to be a badge of honor and respect.

I understand the poor kid was given a pretty hard time for quite a long time...

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard