ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
I had a very enjoyable experience on 1 job where I pointed out a problem with the LV conduit routing to the LV guy.
He stated flat out "This is phone wire; I don't have to follow any Codes".

The fun part came because he said this while we were both standing right in front of the AHJ, who promptly replied "Oh, yes YOU DO!"

It all got ripped out and re-done.

BTW, the VAST majority of LV installations out there look just like Yoopersup very accurately describes.

Ghost307
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Y
Inspectors
I am a licensed inspector in two states and we have to go several of hours in the Code in all parts to maintain our licenses. When I inspect Low voltage (50 volts & under) or line voltage (up to 600 volts) OR high voltage over 600 volts all must comply with the State & Local Codes. I think low voltage installers should be Licensed like Electricans so they WOULD be required to get the PROPER education in there trade, and attend upgrade classes . Electrican in most states are required to take Code upgrade classes .Thus they keep up with the current codes and standards. Be QUALIFIED to do your job.

E
That is required here in the DC area, including Maryland and Virginia. I am 100% in favor of it. Problem is, nobody enforces it, in fact the inspectors hardly even show up for the LV inspections. They might check our fire stopping while on-site for other inspections. We just pay for the permit and they are happy.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
I think the idea that phone wire was exempt from the code started when these guys were working for Ma Bell and had a very strict set of accepted wiring practices. Now days the telcos hire trunk slammer "contractors" and anything goes.
Most are not licensed, in spite of a law in Florida that requires LV licenses. Phones are clearly 725 class 3 and I suppose some day the AHJs will start supervising these installations ... at least until the building slowdown is over. wink

I talked to my structural inspector yesterday and he said he is really slow. If it wasn't for residential remodels they wouldn't have much going at all. Even the commercial is starting to wind down.

Greg Fretwell
W
RE: the use of 1/2" pvc. I think it is to be avoided as much as possible. From my experience, if you use a factory 90 in the run, it can be near impossible to get a fish tape thru at times. We always used a minimum of 3/4" for anything.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard