ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#175116 02/22/08 11:21 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Saw this one when going home to visit my family for the holidays: That's a licensed EC doing ballast changes and relamping on multiple poles... using a scaffold.

To disassemble, move, and reassemble this scaffold at every new light was taking two guys about an hour. Given that time would be reduced to about five minutes for one guy in a scissor lift, I really have to wonder if someone wasn't getting a raw deal; i.e., either the customer is getting overcharged, or the workers are getting underpaid.

-BigJohn

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Admin #175128 02/23/08 01:32 AM
S
Can you say bucket truck?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
A
Or cherry picker?

It's always easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.
L
No credit, bad credit? After a decision like this it's no wonder.
You can rent the lifts or a truck and driver for less.
other idea, Perhaps the owner is thinking they're saveing by provideing labor and staging.

People are a "funny" breed.

W
Wouldn't it depend on how many lights?? I know a small lift around me is a 100 bucks a day. Thats with the tiny tires only made to be on a smooth floor

Cat Servant
I agree ... even for a single fixture, the use of a lift of some sort beats the dickens out of scaffolds and ladders.

Scissor lifts are great, but it's amazing just how little 'crown' in the pavement will set off the 'tip' indicator on them. Getting the scissor back on the trailer is also fun.

The best solution for me has proved to be a towable boom lift. Cost is an issue ... around here, renting one costs about $50 more than the $130 needed for a scissor lift and trailer combo. You also get to invest in a harness, if you don't already have one.
Yet, for that extra cost .... it's easy to visit a number of sites, and the boom will usually reach quite easily over and bushes or set-back the pole may have.

It's not just a matter of climbing. As the picture shows, the lights are usually set off from the pole. You need some place up there to place your parts .... and some of those parts are a bit heavy.

Z
With higher pole light, like these (40'?), you can get a tow-behind lift for about $200/24hrs (out here in so cal, anyway).

Worth every penny.

This guy is obviously just trying to get the most out of what he has (scaffolding).

I know I feel a heck of a lot more stable in a double-boom bucket lift than on a bunch of hinky scaffolding, so if the customer doesn't want to spring for the lift, I've gotta pass that job up. I like going home at the end of the day.

M
One shopping center out here had their painting contractor do that for each pole they were painting at the final trim out before the mall opened.

They had theirs on trailer tires and used the leveling screws at the bottom of each leg take the load off the tires and level it at each pole. You would see 3 painters pushing this rig from pole to pole evey few hours.

J
That scaffold doesn't meet safety regs here.
Rungs too far apart for climbing. Needs a separate ladder on the inside.
Platforms don't have any side rails.
I'm sure there are others but I can't come with them now.

E
I seriously doubt that anyone would question the safety aspects of this setup. I'm relatively confident that the original post was more of a "look how dangerous this is" kind of thing.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard