ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Originally Posted by SP4RX
I'm really surprised how much of a difference can be made by removing the neutral bond, I never would have guessed it would be this dramatic.

This generator has been on-site for about 6 weeks in this condition, I'm surprised nothing bad has happened.

Thanks for the responses!

Shawn.

p.s. the gen-set was feeding a single phase panel so C phase was not being used

If the system is balanced but the neutral is unbonded, there is still some natural capacitance to ground and small amounts of leakage current, etc, and the system will generally float close to ground. If the system is highly unbalanaced, though... like if you take a 3-phase generator and only use 1-phase, though, it will float well off ground, creating dangerous voltages. I'm glad nobody got hurt!

J
Originally Posted by WireNuts29
Not to mention the Fpe panel, you are asking for a fire. you're lucky it was isolated to one receptacle

FPE panels are very common in Canada. We don't have the issue the USA panels had.

Last edited by jdevlin; 02/25/08 10:56 AM.
W
My concern was the unbalanced load. possibly putting an un due strain on the motor, and cutting its expected life. Also I'm not disagreeing, but did Fed pacific use all the quality panel parts in Canada and ship the bum ones throughout the U.S ?? I've witnessed a 20amp 277volt short dead to ground and the breaker never tripped, it welded the mc jacket to the ceiling grid and made some bad burn marks? I don't know why nothing tripped? but it got my attention. and I always triple check Fp breakers cause some in my expierience don't snap open when you shut them off. Just my2 cents.

S
SP4RX Offline OP
At work this morning the site super told me that he is really surprised that there have been no problems with the generator since Friday. Three whole days! Before the bonding jumper was installed, the gen-set's electronic controller would shut the power off due to over-voltage, under-voltage, and other improper readings. This would sometimes happen several times a day.

As far as FPE being reliable up here; I wouldn't want to be in a situation where the only thing protecting me from harm is a FPE breaker.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Shawn.

S
Originally Posted by WireNuts29
My concern was the unbalanced load. possibly putting an un due strain on the motor, and cutting its expected life.
Most 3-phase generators are designed to handle 100% imbalance, but must be derated; you're not going to get 50kW out of a 50kW 3-phase generator if you only use one phase, you're going to get about 28kW. The engine doesn't care, and the generator is just cables on a rotor, which is still balanced from an electromechanical standpoint. There's really nothing electrically or mechanically damageing about it aside from running the engine at less than half load all the time, and all the bad things that happen when you run a lightly loaded diesel engine too long.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard