ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 453 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Originally Posted by pauluk
Wouldn't a completely uniform building code in a country as vast as the U.S.A. impose some quite unreasonable conditions on everybody to cater for things which are only likely to be a problem in specific areas?

Does it make sense to demand that buildings in Oregon be built to the same tornado-resisting standards as in Mississippi? Or for buildings in Florida to be able to cope with the same snow loading as Minnesota?
It's not so relevant to the NEC, but the other buildings codes (IRC, IBC, IMC, etc) take this into account. There are tables for every county in the US requiring michigan to have thicker insulation in their walls than georgia. There are wind-load charts showing max 50-year 3-minute mile and fastest-minute speeds and pressure loads for all areas of the nation, with variable requirements depending on whether you're surrounded by trees and mountains or exposed on the coast. Same for seismic, termite, etc. In this way, they have a single common code that applies to the entire nation, yet is still tailored to specific requirements in specific locales.

If the beancounters determine romex is fine for most areas, but MC is required where housing density turns risk to a single structure into risk to an entire city- that should apply to everywhere in the nation that meets those criteria. Etc.

Maybe NEC needs to take an IBC approach and add a table for rats? laugh

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Florida has a uniform building code but we do have increasing requirements as you move through the various wind zones. I really would not see a problem if a national building code worked the same way with other hazard zones.

I do believe a lot of "disasters" would be avoided with better building codes. When you look at hurricane pictures you always see old houses and trailers blown up but new, code compliant structures incur minimal damage if any at all.

As for electrical I see little need for any real regional variation unless it was frost heaving in underground wiring or something like that.

Greg Fretwell
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard