ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
IanR Offline OP
I ran across this today
http://www.flatwireready.com/prod-electrical.htm

They say that it is NEC approved for 120V. You just run it along the wall and then mud over it.
I can't believe that this is approved, never mind considered safe.
What do you think?
Ian

Ian:

I have time (little) to read right now....one thing seems/may be missing.....the all important UL approvals/listing.

Time to read the links and 382.....pending

Last edited by HotLine1; 02/17/08 11:46 AM.

John
G
I saw a pitch in an IAEI meeting and the audience was pretty negative. Be very careful hanging pictures!

Greg Fretwell
R
It was added in the 2008 code and is required to be listed. See 382.6. They were talking about it on a DIY radio show yesterday. It costs about $200 for the items required for a 10' installation.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
S
It appears just to be pre-advertising for the product. So of build up the hype to where they can sell it, they have buyers already in line. I have never use flat cable but I have seen it before and It has its place in the market. I could see it used in concrete and mason buildings.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
T
I think we should re-title this thread "Appearing soon in violations forum" smile

I could see it under hardwood floors etc.. (but don't we already have time tested products that will do this....) That mudover idea they show might appeal to the diy crowd and people allergic to drywall cutting, but it's still no good in my book. Done right, it's a dangerously concealed live wire, done wrong, it looks bad because it leaves a visible hump on the wall.

"Southwire is currently working with Underwriters Laboratory (UL) on the certification of the CNE and will make future announcements concerning launch dates and availability. We look forward to UL certification and making FlatWire a unique wiring option."

The Devil is always in the details, it seems.....

"Product FAQ

* What are FlatWire products?

FlatWire Technologies, a division of Southwire, has created a new shift in wiring and interconnect devices for low voltage lighting, audio/loudspeakers, voice/data lines, high performance video, Cat 5, 5e, and 6 data cables, and other low voltage applications. Future products include 120 AC electrical and fiber optics. For specific product specifications, see the individual product group information offered on the website."

Lets hope we see the chapter 11 reoganization announcement first...

Last edited by trollog; 02/17/08 07:11 PM.
S
Like I tell my kids, don't knock it until you try it. smile

Flat wire has been used for years in commecrcial applications like in large open office areas. Time will tell. I would be hesitent to use it right out of the gate but it would not stop me from looking at it. I have a saying about old work. "Remodel work shouldn't have to look look remodel work."

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
E
I'm in agreement that this will be a Harry Homeowner special right out of the gates. Perhaps they'll price it out of his reach, but rest assured, you'll see it run under carpet, tile and hardwood flooring in no time. Southwire is the principal supplier of cable to the Lowe's chain, so you'll probably see it for sale there before you even see it in your regular supply house.

Let's face it: We all know that the NEC is nothing but a marketing forum for manufacturers to sell their products. Can someone say "AFCI"?

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
R
This product is not the same as what has been used as "under carpet flat cable" in the past It is a 5 conductor assembly with the ungrounded conductor in the center, then a grounded conductor on each side of the ungrounded, and an EGC on the outside of each grounded conductor. The supply device must provide both AFCI, GFCI and supplementary overcurrent protection for the flat wire.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
R

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard