ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 536 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
LK Offline
It is an easy install, but will leave a good size hole to repair, we used plenty of the flat under floor cable in office buildings, where core holes were not possible due to access problems, and at tht time it was only listed for removable carpet squares, every run had to be topped with a heavy gage sheet metal to protect it from damage, the last job I did was for one of the companies in the trade center after the first attack, so it has been around for a while, John, also installed some on the thornall street high rise, you may run into it on some of your inspections.

R
Ohhh look, a magnet for picture hooks 'n nails!

A.D

W
They say it is approved for 120v but I do not see the 120v version, just low voltage, audio and video. No way I would put 120v on anything installed like that, can you spell LAW SUIT

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
T
If the stuff is actually that thin, it needs to be fairly wide to carry any serious current. In theory the shape of a conductor shouldn't matter, but with a conductor that thin and wide it just seems like a fire waiting to happen. Besides, if that stuff is just mudded over that doesn't sound like appropriate mechanical protection.
Besides, usually there's a certain isolation thickness required for line voltage cables... I can't see that here.

I guess there's a reason thin film ribbon cables have only been used inside computer equipment for low-current applications.

Add a few nails through the cable that go unnoticed since they don't break the conductor and you're in for a nasty surprise... I guess you should start looking into panel-mount main 30 or 100mA electro-mechanical RCDs for fire safety reasons if that stuff really catches.

G
Actually IBM used a ribbon power cable for boards in some of the 370 boxes that carried 20-30a but it was at 1.5v or 3v so insulation didn't need to be that tough. They used them so they could lay in the same guides as the flat signal cables.
I suspect these might be the same technology but I still agree physical protection is the biggest issue. I don't even like the idea of using stackers to get a 1.25" horizontal distance from furring strips in a 3/4" furred wall in a hold your nose legal reading of 300.4(D). I thought sleeving romex in EMT (the old Florida rule) made a lot of sense.

Greg Fretwell
R
Add a few nails through the cable that go unnoticed since they don't break the conductor and you're in for a nasty surprise...

You can't drive a nail through this with out tripping the built in GFCI protection. You have to drive it through the EGC and the grounded conductor before you can hit the ungrounded conductor.

Don(resqcapt19)
Don: (Resqcapt)
If I remember right, from two installs a long while ago....
The FCC (Under carpet tile) Pirelli brand had a sheetmetal protective 'plate' (came in a roll like flashing), and a vinyl base, and vinyl cover for the top. That was $$$$$

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard