ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#174806 02/14/08 09:15 AM
L
leland Offline OP
680.26 (C) Pool water......

States water must be bonded.. Now the pump I don't feel is in "Direct contact" with the water, Gaskets,seals,impeller etc.

So, now we do the 9 sq inch thing.

Does the light trim count? Wet niche of course would.
My thought woud be to install a peice of stainless pipe in 1 of the lines. This seems to be an easy solution.

The season (here) is approaching, so thoughts would be great.

Lee

Last edited by leland; 02/14/08 09:16 AM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
A 2" metallic pipe nipple on the pump with a suitable clamp would meet the requirement, even with 1.5" pipe. (9.42 sq/in)

Most of the wet niches I see around here are PVC but there usually is a metal ring on the light. You would also be able to include a metal ladder or even the ladder cups if they are metal and under water.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Today's discussion regarding the ladder....
Pools here are closed for the winter, and the ladders are removed for the cover.
Based on that, the water bond is not there with the ladder out.
Comments??

John
L
leland Offline OP
YA, What Hotline1 said.

We don't all live in the sunshine state!! Haven't seen sun in 5 looong days!! Damn cold too!!

(all in jest- can't (don't know how) to find the icons)

Now the next step is to find (or make) an approved nipple with a lug on it.

S
If steel rebar is considered a grounding electrode when of sufficient length in contact with concrete, wouldn't the pool water also be considered grounded by contact? Or does the liner completely negate that?

G
Steve, the issue they are talking about is a plastic pool, double insulated pump and all plastic nicheless light. If you have no other way to bond the water the 2008 requires some other piece of metal 9 sq/in to accomplish it.
John
If the ladder is out, the cups are still going to be there.

Greg Fretwell
L
leland Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
John
If the ladder is out, the cups are still going to be there.

Greg, these cups are not typicaly in contact with the water are they? My pool has the drop in ladders, cups only in the deck, (In ground liner). No hand rail at the steps,though I suppose if there were one that would cover it.

I think we will see a metalic coupleing,as discussed, arive shortly.This would be a nice convieniant and standard solution.

G
I am not really sure how many "plastic only" pools there are in the US. Concrete "in ground" is the norm here and the rebar makes this an excellent ground plane. The sun tears up plastic and I don't think I have ever seen the vinyl liner pools here except a few above ground. Usually they either go for a concrete pool or they abandon the pool idea altogether

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

Up here I have seen in the last 9 years at least 7 plastic pools. I am not a big fan of these pools, but I have to inspect them. BTW, these pools are the only ones that I have seen problems with "Stray Voltage". The concrete or steel w/plastic liners never had any stray voltage ( to my knowledge) problems around here.

John, If the the ladder is out for the winter, is the pool bonding that critical? smile LOL, I mean is anyone going to swim up here in Jan? Today was a balmy 25-35 deg and sunny, a nice day for a walk, but not a swim.

Harold:
My thoughts went down that road...
Metal ladder connected mechanically to bonded cups. OK as a "water bond".
I thought that would be an acceptable solution.....
Comment was...'no good because ladder is removed when pool is covered' (winterized)
My reply was...'who would/could be affected in any way by a covered/winterized pool?'
Comment was to the effect that the install would not be code compliant.

Debate will continue at a future date.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard