ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trumpy Offline OP
Folks,
Since working in my new job, I've had to get under rotary dairy platforms to inspect or repair the drive units and most of the farmers that own them, to be nice, their idea of maintenance is to cake everything in sight with thick grease.
Now, the question is, what is the easiest and kindest way to get grease out of your hair and off your skin.
I tried dishwashing liquid, soap, and shampoo, none of which worked, most of the grease came off on the towel.
I did think about the sort of hand cleaner we use at work but it seems too aggressive to use on your scalp.
After all, I'd hate to mess up my pretty hair-do!
[Linked Image]

Any thoughts guys?

Shave your head or wear a beanie. smile

Someone out there may have a recipe using natural ingredients that'll do the job.

Some handcleaner has no pumice in it so its smooth on your hands so try hunting down some of this for your hair/scalp.

V
Wear a hair net to keep the grease out of your hair. Simple Green works pretty well to get the grease out. If that does not do it use waterless hand cleaner followed by shampoo and conditioner. Rod

N
Originally Posted by 32VAC
Shave your head or wear a beanie. smile

Wearing a cap or getting Kojaked seems to be the best idea.

T
Wear something on your head Mike. I look goofy with a respirator in the summer (attic work), but it keeps me from getting sinus infections. Ask the farmers what they use to get the grease out. Any solvent that works good on grease will really trash your beautiful hair and dry out that soft skin. About your skin...if you get some kind of lotion and put a LOT on your skin, your pores will fill up with the lotion so the grease stays on top. I'd also try the same thing with a mild soap. See which works better.

BTW how's the bambino?

Dave

Last edited by Tiger; 02/16/08 11:52 AM.
Cat Servant
I once had a job operating screw machines ... think of an early form of automated lathe. These machines - which had their heyday in the 50's - always managed to have a fine mist of oil about them; as a result, since then, I've kept my hair real short.

Now, for your problem .... the greases used are developed to be exceptionally water resistant. Pre-cleaning the area (steam hose), then getting into a boiler suit seems the only way to reduce the mess.

Otherwise, various towels and rags are sold specifically to catch / absorb oils. These can be used to blot the grease away, as the grease seems to prefer the fiber to you. Even ordinary toilet paper - even the shiny foreign kind - seems to do this quite well.

My last thought ... have you tried baby oil? That stuff seems to work where most else fails.

A
[Linked Image from i95.photobucket.com]

G
I second the waterless hand cleaner idea

Greg Fretwell
M
Like A-Line I would say the Trevek Suit. The cost is reasonable (3 to 5 CDN$ each retail at one store I just checked, and probably less if bought in bulk from a supplier). You can also get nitrate gloves if you want to keep you hands clean.

If your contract says management has to provide you protective clothing get them to order them in for you.

The house painters and body shop guys use them when spraying so a paint wholesaler or body supply shop may be the best place to try if you have to buy them on your own.

S

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard