ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 225 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
I see a book in the making called, "Electrical Engineering for Dummies". BTW, that sounds redundent. smile

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I worked a concert where the sound guy insisted on bringing in his own lighting rig... Had a wooden box built in similar fashion, with metal switches. Used the damn thing for "effects" during a concert; great effect, hearing "click click" in sync with the lights changing.

That's why we generally keep the sqweeks (sound guys) from doing anything other than play with their mics.

T
As a sound guy you'd think he should know about interference...

I once had a somewhat sub-standard light controler too, but that one had a properly attached cord with plug and strain relief, and it was only used far away from sound equipment (the sound equipment was plugged in on the ground floor of the school and I was sitting up on the 3rd floor with my box controling an 18W fluorescent bulb (in a rice paper ballon suspended above the yard to imitate the moon) and a string of Christmas lights.

The contraption was only used for one rehearsal since the performance didn't happen anyway due to bad weather... you neither want your audience to be rained on nor the performers be fried on a metal balcony together with indoor cords and equipment...

Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Reminds me of a self-employed (and trained) DJ... he had his own light control box, basically a wooden box with a pile of regular light switches and Schuko receptacles. At least they had covers.

the feed however... he had a spare, unswitched receptacle on the side and used it to backfeed the entire box using a cord with two plugs! (and yes, I mean two male cord caps...)

I just found it on my photobucket account.
The plug on the left hand side runs the entire thing.
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]

is that some electrical tape holding up the first outlet on the left?

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
JoeKP #182877 12/15/08 03:45 PM
T
is that some electrical tape holding up the first outlet on the left?

no that's just the fancy design of these outlets - the covers come with exchangeable colored stripes on either side. In htis case they used the black ones. The box was actually built with great care, but feeding it using a cord with two male cord caps is just plain lethal.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard