ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Add this to the list of reasons why I don't really like the "wall wart" transformers. frown

Another solution: Get a suitably rated weatherproof transformer in place of this one, then convert the outlet to a proper weatherproof one as well.

N
Originally Posted by pauluk
Add this to the list of reasons why I don't really like the "wall wart" transformers. frown

Another solution: Get a suitably rated weatherproof transformer in place of this one, then convert the outlet to a proper weatherproof one as well.

The sprinkler controller is a INDOOR model, hence the wall wart.

G
Here's a solution for you. Mount a PVC junction box over it all so that you can bring everything inside the juntion box. Then silicone around junction box where it meets the house. That'll keep everything nice and dry. You can move the receptacle inside the box too that way you can fit in a box that will house a gfci and not worry about the transformer fitting in a bubble cover because you won't need a bubble cover.

Last edited by GilbeSpark; 02/24/08 12:19 PM.
Cat Servant
Sometimes I feel I'm trying to row against the current ...

The receptacle in the picture, even if made "legal" with a GFI breaker and a bubble cover, still has a number of problems.

As they say in real estate ... location, location, location.

That thing in the bottom corner of the picture is a car's windshield. Even if the car misses the receptacle, etc ... they're still projecting into a pathway. Not a smart place.

Moving the receptacle isn't an easy chore. I am sure this location was chosen because there is a receptacle on the other side of the wall. The building pre-dates the "6 ft rule", so you're lucky to have more than one receptacle per room!

Then again, this house helps show just how much our lifestyle has changed. There were no sprinkler controllers in 1940, and even owning a car was somewhat rare. About the only electric things in the kitchen were the clock, and maybe the fridge ... some folks still had ice delivered, as well as milk, and did quite well without a fridge. Electric razors? Not a chance.

Yet, in all the remodels, all the coats of paint and new flooring ... the owners have yet to take a systematic look at the electrical and plumbing systems.

It kind of reminds you of how far we've come.

Originally Posted by renosteinke
It kind of reminds you of how far we've come.

Yeah, one step forward, two steps back. Replace that asbestos with vinyl, but don't bother to update/fix the electrical or plumbing.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
L
all the code stuff and logic is correct.

My opinion, with out rearanging the world, Perhaps too logical (and fun removing, (I do enjoy the creativity))And simplistic, relocate the LV wireing, position the controler in the garage on the existing ungrounded 2 wire ckt.

Aside from all that, how would you feel about driving the snow plow around that, or maybe even adjusting it thru a snow storm or just...... Never mind.. you bunch of fair weathered spoiled people!!!

Guess winter is getting to me! smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard