ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
We are updating our service work order form, and I am looking for ideas on improving it. Right now we are dealing with a couple customers who won't pay, so I was thinking about making a form requiring a signature on every service call, and including a mechanics lean on the back. I've started looking into pre-made forms, but I haven't found anything suitable yet. I'm open to suggestions,

Stephen

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
I like Adding
"please pay technician today"

at the bottom of the form

W
Something about you retaining possession of all materials untill bill is paid in full. Also go ahead and put your service fee amount at the bottom of the invoice( 1.5 percent for all invoices over 30 days, or whatever you charge). The signature line is a good idea.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
P
Do you mean retain possession of materials that are installed at the job? How would that work? I'll definitely put a service fee at the bottom, thanks for the tips

T
The terms of my Service Work Order and Contract Proposals are the same. I searched contractor threads on the subject, drew up a rough document and gave it to my lawyer. She put it all in legal language per my state.

Dave

A
Originally Posted by Pathfind
We are updating our service work order form, and I am looking for ideas on improving it. Right now we are dealing with a couple customers who won't pay, so I was thinking about making a form requiring a signature on every service call, and including a mechanics lean on the back. I've started looking into pre-made forms, but I haven't found anything suitable yet. I'm open to suggestions,

Stephen

I get a signature before any work is started and another signature on completion of the work.

In Utah we are registered with Lien Recovery Fund http://www.dopl.utah.gov/programs/rlrf/index.html and must provide the below information in contracts. This is on the back of my work order and invoice forms as well. You may want to check with your state for similar requirments.

Failure to include this language in the contract constitutes unlawful conduct and is
punishable by citation and fine.

What notice must contractors give to homeowners regarding their rights under the
Act?

Every contractor who enters into a written contract with a homeowner is required to provide in the text of the contract notice to the homeowner of the rights and responsibilities afforded under the Act. Division rules provide the language of the required notice is:

PROTECTION AGAINST LIENS AND CIVIL ACTION. Notice is hereby provided in
accordance with Section 38-11-108 of the Utah Code that under Utah law an
"owner" may be protected against liens being maintained against an "owneroccupied
residence" and from other civil action being maintained to recover
monies owed for "qualified services" performed or provided by suppliers and
subcontractors as a part of this contract, if and only if the following
conditions are satisfied:
(1) the owner entered into a written contract an original contractor, a
factory built housing retailer, or a real estate developer;
(2) the original contractor was properly licensed or exempt from licensure
under Title 58, Chapter 55, Utah Construction Trades Licensing Act at the
time the contract was executed; and
(3) the owner paid in full the original contractor, factory built housing
retailer, or real estate developer or their successors or assigns in
accordance with the written contract and any written or oral amendments to
the contract.
(4) An owner who has satisfied all of these conditions may perfect his
protection from liens by applying for a Certificate of Compliance with the
Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing by calling (801) 530-6628
or toll free in Utah only (866) 275-3675 and requesting to speak to the Lien
Recovery Fund. (Utah Administrative Code R156-38a-108)

Failure to include this language in the contract constitutes unlawful conduct and is
punishable by citation and fine.

Last edited by A-Line; 02/08/08 08:37 PM.
M
Plumbers and electrical contractors doing service work get an exemption in my state from having to disclose lean law to customers for every job. Everybody else has to, but once again it is seldom enforced. (only enforced when there is a formal complaint between customer and contractor usually, and even then only when said enforcement can result in publicity for the regulated industries board).

L
LK Offline
"a mechanics lean on the back"

Sounds like a great idea, only problem is in some states you need to give notice to lean in advance to the actual filing, and in my state like many once you install any material in a home, you can not remove it without a court order.

The best way is the way 99% of the services operate, COD no exceptions.

If your in the service business, you need the tools, accept charge cards, and debit cards.

Everytime Sears comes out to do service, they put the service charge on the card in advance of their visit, then add to it if any additional work has to be done.

The water soft man is a one man shop, he expests to be paid COD, and has all the tools to accept cresit or debit.

Another good point of using the cards and billling in advance, is you know if the customer qualifies or not!

Most electricians are great at the electrical work, but fail when it comes to operating like a business, any of us can do it, fix the collections, and get back to the work you know well.

It is not new forms you need, it's getting rid of the fear of asking to be paid, for what you earned.

Not everyone can operate a business, they would fair much better working for wages, for someone.

Last edited by LK; 02/09/08 08:14 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard