ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
mdcash #174172 01/28/08 01:25 PM
S
NEC 2008 changes the description of 210.52(C)(2)from "Island Counter Spaces" to "Island Countertop Spaces," but otherwise leaves it unchanged. What difference does that make? I don't know!

Intent of these codes is to eliminate extension cords in the kitchen. As a homeowner with a wired island (as well as being the electrician who had to wire the ^$@^$@^$ thing), I can tell just how important it is to have receptacles there, and that it's worth the effort, even for just a single receptacle.

So... just how portable *is* this island? If it's an island with cabinets and a countertop that the installers just didn't bother to secure it to the floor, then it should be properly fastened to the floor and have receptacles installed in it. And if it's a piece of furniture being used as an island? Put a floor receptacle beneath it and wire it up anyhow.

Last edited by SteveFehr; 01/28/08 01:27 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
mdcash Offline OP
I talked to the head state inspector in my area and he said eiter put an outlet on it or pull it into the garage, so I decided to pull it into the garag. Even after I explained that the homeowners want to be able to move it next to the wall when not in use and pulled out when they have company over.

mdcash #174196 01/28/08 11:52 PM
L
Is it on wheels? If not you may be poop outa luck.

After my own research, definition, code etc. It seems to meet the criteria for a rec.Unless it is TRULY portable.
Not even I would think that something that needs 2 men and a boy to move would be portable.

I think you got your answer. Sorry.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard