ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
As I mentioned on another thread, I've stirred up a hornets' nest.

Customer, refrigeration guy, GC, all are really distressed about my ..... well, my doing my job, as I see it. Thus began the finger pointing, etc ...

The job is building a mini-mart. The walk-in cooler is a used item, as is the refrigeration equipment. In preparing to run power to the compressors .... I noticed that the nameplates had carefully had all the information removed, cut out. No model number, no serial number, no voltage, no amps .... nothing. I also noticed that the units use a refrigerant that is soon to be discontinued, and is already subject to some pretty hefty surcharges.

No wonder the refrigeration guy was so eager to have me hook it up. I have refused, saying that without a nameplate I am lacking information that I need. I have also pointed out that the inspector is likely to object.

Would you have done anything differently?

Last edited by renosteinke; 01/17/08 11:24 AM.
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
B
Originally Posted by renosteinke
As I mentioned on another thread, I've stirred up a hornets' nest.

I noticed that the nameplates had carefully had all the information removed, cut out. No model number, no serial number, no voltage, no amps .... nothing. I also noticed that the units use a refrigerant that is soon to be discontinued, and is already subject to some pretty hefty surcharges.

Deliberately removing rating plates is highly suspicious.
All sorts of evil/illegal possibilities spring to mind.

Even if everything is 100% kosher...
I don't think I'd be comfortable doing more than running a feed(s) and disconnect(s) and that only per what the refr guy will specify in writing.

(He can make the final connections himself here.)

New condensing units and blowers are in stock at the HVAC supply house if they want them.

Design-Build isn't supposed to mean design *as* you build.
F
No nameplate on the equiment which i will NOT hook up i dont care if i did see it before but my simple rule no nameplate = no hookup espcally you mention refridgement equiment i know R12 about complety history but R22 is on the way out.

I can be pain in ase but i rather cover my ase with this for safety reason because without nameplate it dont tell what voltage it require , amparage , # of phase etc, etc

John you did the right thing i know it can be a pain but somewhere you have to draw the line and say can't do it even with freaking hotstick.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

S
I agree. With no way to verify what you have, there is no way it can be safely connected. Even if someone gave you a cutsheet on it, you still can not verify the essential data to ensure a safe connection. Good call

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Originally Posted by renosteinke
As I mentioned on another thread, I've stirred up a hornets' nest...

No wonder the refrigeration guy was so eager to have me hook it up. I have refused, saying that without a nameplate I am lacking information that I need. I have also pointed out that the inspector is likely to object.

If they think you are being ridiculous about this, then they should be able to find someone else to do it quite easily. I am hoping no one with a license will touch this mess!

W
Good call John, NO WAY I would hook it up with no name plate,not today, not tomorrow, not ever. Better to run from a hornets nest than to get stung!

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
S
Jimmy, not to segway from the topic but I have to chuckle each time I see your quote in your signiture block. It is hilarious.

W
not mine first quoted by The Duke (John Wayne)

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
Cat Servant
Today, the plot got thicker ....

The refrigeration guy brought out the owner of a large, established HVAC firm, to see what the problem was. After looking things over, this fine gent told the customer that my objections were the craziest thing he'd ever heard, that 'his' electrician could hook things up, no problem, and that he could smooth things out with the city - for a fee.

(If he's suggesting City Hall can be bought ... I'll see somebody wearing stripes before I'm through!)

I'm digging into the source for this gear .... I've also got the head of the local HVAC program coming to look it over tomorrow. Crazy things? Start with the edited nameplate ....

Simply put, I'm not about to hook this stuff up, and have it come back and bite me in a few years.

Last edited by renosteinke; 01/23/08 10:42 PM.
S
That is what I would of done. It may be a tough call but a good one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard