ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#173849 01/20/08 08:26 PM
D
drum Offline OP
I have been buying bundled RGB cable for some HDTV installs which has 6 mini coax and 2 cat5 wires inside. Most are done HDMI. It is handy but am thinking if I need a couple extra component cables RG6 quad sheild with RCA ends on it would work the same. Any opinions?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Yes it works. Component cable has an impedance of 75 ohms and so does RG6. I have crimped RCA's on a triplex of rg6 and it worked well. I try to keep them the same length - Im not sure it really makes any difference, But I do know there is a horizontal and vertical sync that is transmitted through the cables.

~Matt

I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.
C
Rarely is RGBHV used anymore (in consumer circles anyhow), except for computer monitors.

For consumer level Component video, sync is part of the Y signal (green plug). RGB has the sync on green.

B
All the Costco stores I've been to have their demo TVs connected with RG6 component cables. Looks like they use Snap N Seal RCA connectors or some other similar type of compression connector.

I guess you could use RCA to F adapters instead of RCA connectors.

S
rg6 does work, but be careful with the F to RCA connectors. Sometimes the added length makes it hard to fit behind a wall mounted plasma. Most companies make compression fittings in RCA for RG6.

G
They sell made up cables with one end "right angle" so they do fine in the close quarters behind a wall mounted TV. I doubt you could build a set for what they cost if your time is worth anything.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard