ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#173705 01/16/08 06:20 PM
R
rj Offline OP
I am in need of some information about bolt in breakers compared to stabe ins. I know that you are suppost to have a better connection with a bolt in, but what about maintenace in the long run. Myself I would rahter work and maintain the stabe in. Any others with that feeling or that bolt in is the best way to go?
Thanks for any input on this.

rj #173706 01/16/08 06:27 PM
W
I like the bolt in for areas with high load or vibration. I worked in manufacturing plants for about 16 years, most of the equipment was either Westinghouse or Square D bolt in type, all of it gave vary little trouble. As far as maint. goes we would shut down the panels once every other year and check the screws for tightness, I do not remember ever tightning one more than about 1/16 of a turn, of course all this was wired with copper wire, as it should be in an industrial setting.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
L
Industrial: bolt in every time. reliability.

Resi: stab ins are fine, very low demand.

S
Anywhere with potentially high fault current requires bolt-on, because the electromagnetic forces in a full-blown short-circuit fault can be enough to tear cables right out of set screws, and breakers right off the panel.

If you're just fed from a small transformer (ala residential size) or otherwise have low availible fault current, then it's less of an issue.

I agree with the rest of the guys that in most cases I prefer a bolted connection.

That said:
The Square D "I-Line" breaker, their premium offering, is a plug in.

[Linked Image]

The lowly ITE-Bulldog Pushmatic is a bolt on breaker.

[Linked Image]

laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard