ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#173660 01/15/08 08:05 PM
N
Just got on a new job - all concrete and no walls up yet - Cold winter coming up.

Anyone have any good suggestions on work gloves? I usually wear the Thinsulate fleece lined Leather gloves for humping material around and things that don't need a fine touch.

Anyone have any suggestions, what do you guys wear?

R
For all day outside in the cold I like a thinsulate glove liner inside insulated leather mittens. The mittens keep your hands warmer than gloves and you can take them off for fine work without touching ten degree metal with bare hands. Wool shooters mittens that fold back and have tipless gloves have their use too. The wool keeps your hands warm even when wet.

By the way, if you are going to be on a lift, a layer of cardboard on the floor will slow the heat transfer out of your feet, dramatically.

G
Driving gloves and an interstate map?? ... sorry wink

Way back when I was in the frozen north I had some army mittens that were very warm and had a "trigger finger" slot with a thinner glove on that finger so you could pick small stuff up. (or shoot the bad guy)

Greg Fretwell
S
I usually wear leather roper type work gloves because they fit snugly and I can still work with them on. They allow me to pick up small items (ok, not flat washers) and keep my hands from getting scraped up or dirty.

When I have to work outside in the cold I like to take a pair of regular work gloves and cut off the fingers between the second and third knuckles. I then put these gloves on over top of the roper gloves. My fingertips are just covered with the thin layer of leather from the first glove, while the rest of my hand is covered with a second glove as well.

That works for me.

two pair of the cheap brown cotton gloves....

I get them by the dozen $6

Tom
V
When I was in Wyoming working I used the brown cotton gloves with the leather roper gloves over the top. I also had mittens that I wore over that when it was real cold. Rod

S
I like snug-fitting work gloves; the $10-20 ones at the big box (I've tried a couple different brands, and really haven't noticed much of a difference) are comfortable and warm and are dextrous enough for rough-in, and tough enough to last a few months. After that, I just can't go back to 50 cent jersey gloves or $1 leathers...

Link Copied to Clipboard