ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 479 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Originally Posted by NJwirenut
On a serious note, what will we use in a REGULAR oven, when they ban the 40W incandescent appliance bulb? I can't imagine that a CFL would tolerate a 450 degree oven (or a 35 degree refrigerator, for that matter).

As discussed in another thread, LEDs work quite well in a fridge. I don't think either one would do well in the heat of an oven. That's one place where the "waste" heat of an incandescent isn't really wasted, as it just helps to heat the oven.

B
Originally Posted by noderaser
From the discussion I've heard on another list, the only bulbs that will be banned are "general use" bulbs, the standard A19/E26 types that are commonly used for residential and commercial service. "Specialty" bulbs and lamps, such as those used in the oven or theatrical fixtures, will still be OK.

Since appliance bulbs use a standard Edison base, people will just use those for general use, and manufacturers will start making more types of "appliance" bulbs.

Re: Easy bake oven... Infrared LEDs? I assume that's what is underneath those "ceramic" stove tops.

A lot of them use a type of halogen lamp. I know some are even called "halogen cooktops".

The Easy Bake oven can just use an appliance bulb.

C
I'll have to agree with Renosteinke. And it's never enough for the do-gooders to sit back and be pleased with their accomplishments. They have to get another fix quick before the rush of satisfaction fades. What will it be next?

I'm waiting to hear the cries of outrage when the people of California realize all of the pricey dimmers they have been forced to buy since October of 2005 won't work on the CFL's they will be forced to buy in 2012. Who will they blame? Who will they sue?

G
After years of working around GSA (the agency that provides "handy man services" to the government) it is clear to me that they have never seen an electrical professional. This kind of legislation demonstrates that.

Greg Fretwell
P
pauluk Offline OP
Originally Posted by noderaser
From the discussion I've heard on another list, the only bulbs that will be banned are "general use" bulbs, the standard A19/E26 types that are commonly used for residential and commercial service. "Specialty" bulbs and lamps, such as those used in the oven or theatrical fixtures, will still be OK.

That's what's supposed to be happening here as well, although I'm just waiting for the politicos and the "greenies" to try to push the definition to include candle bulbs, then everything else beyond a GLS lamp.

We're getting city hall demanding certain fixtures in new construction as well, and the guidelines they're following from central government are that where a high-efficiency light is required it mustn't be a fixture with a standard BC or ES socket and a compact fluoro, so the homeowner can't just swap to a regular filament lamp later.

More here:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/171581/page/1

D
you guys should read the actual text of the bill and the very long list of exceptions. It specifically allows special service bulbs like for your oven and fridge and ceiling fan and all those other things. It specifically allows anything with a base other than the standard one so you dont have to worry about your candelabra bulbs or anything like that. And it doesn't mention incandescent specifically, but rather places the limit on lumen output per watt. So if those guys who were working on the nano etched filament that released so much more light ever get a manufacturing process that works you wont have to miss regular bulbs at all. Was that GE or philips? I can't remember...

So I'm not terribly worried. That being said, I am picking up a box of 100 watt bulbs every time I go into the hardware store wink Those are about the only non CF or led bulbs that I still use in the house and I have them in overhead lights that are on dimmers that need to be bright sometimes. CF's with dimmers just dont cut it yet.

S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
After years of working around GSA (the agency that provides "handy man services" to the government) it is clear to me that they have never seen an electrical professional. This kind of legislation demonstrates that.
The federal government isn't bound to NEC or any state laws. DoD has adopted NEC in lieu of writing their own comparable code book, but as every command is its own AHJ, it's more a symbolic gesture than anything else. Gives something tangible to place in contracts, at least.

Cat Servant
Derailed, you have a good point ... it's always good to read the actual documents. Yet ....

When you cut through the bull, laws are often written in convoluted ways for dishonest reasons. This also often happens in bid requests, as well. While the 'lawyers' know they're not supposed to write things to specifically favor / punish a specific party, they dance around with supposedly 'neutral' descriptions.
Sort of what would happen if ECN wrote special rules just for new members with 8-letter screen names, beginning with "D", ending with "D", from southern states. Could such be aimed at any but a specific person?

As for 'exceptions" .... as I said before, the light bulb is NOT what's at stake here. Accepting 'exceptions' is agreeing to the intrusion of government into an area where it does not belong. And, 'exceptions' have a way of disappearing over time. I can do without such generosity!

Speaking of exceptions, though .... I am unable to find the 'exception' to the limitations of government (called the "Constitution") that allows any part of any governing body to say anything on this issue. Like I said .... it's the nose of the camel ....

N
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Speaking of exceptions, though .... I am unable to find the 'exception' to the limitations of government (called the "Constitution") that allows any part of any governing body to say anything on this issue. Like I said .... it's the nose of the camel ....

Well, if you take a "strict constructionist" view, 90+% of what the federal government does nowadays is unconstitutional. Afterall, there is nothing about building highways, regulating broadcast media, making certain drugs illegal, or banning lightbulbs written into the constitution, right?

For better or worse, they usually justify these regulations based on the "promote the general welfare" line from the preamble, or the part about "regulating interstate commerce". smile

C
In an unprecedented move the California Energy Commission actually did something right yesterday.
They withdrew their ridiculous proposal to have the utilities controlling our thermostats for us.
Our local assemblyman Rick Keene made the comment "What's the next step? They're going to put cameras in your house because they think they can cut down on domestic violence?"

I hope this kind of clear thinking continues.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard