ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#173616 01/14/08 08:07 PM
Y
I don't have a 1990 NEC Code can anyone tell me what the section in the Current Code 2005 517.30 (C) Wireing Requirements (Seperation from Other circuits said in 1990).
A hospital wired under the 1990 Code is being told by the Federal Goverment (Medicare) it must change to 2005 stanards even thought it was built under 1990 NEC Code.?
Thanks Yoopers

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Ernie, my 1990 code book is at work, if noone else comes forward before tomorrow I'll get back to you then.

Going by memory, there were only Emergency and Normal systems in those days, they were not divided into Critical, Life Safety, and Equipment Branches.

Roger

Last edited by Roger; 01/14/08 08:43 PM.
S
I am looking in the '93. I may have '90 in the office. In the '93 there is only one change which was something in the exception #4.

NEC90 517-30(C)(1). Sepreration from other circuits.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
R
Ernie, I was wrong, it is basically the same as it is today. The Essential Systems are Emergency and Equipment, and the Emergency was in fact broke down into Critical and Life Safety Branches, 517-30(b)(2)

517-30(c)(1) requires the seperation from other circuits the same as todays wording.

Roger

Y
So as you read it There is a Equipment Transfer Switch and loads required per code off that. Then there can be a second transfer switch feeding switchgear containing Both Life safety and Critical Breakers that must feed life safety load pnls, and critical pnl loads . and as I read it theses loads MUST be kept seperate of each Other and all other loads from the switchgear then on.
Yoopers up

R
Yes, with the exception of Emergency and Exit lights.

There will have to be at least 2 transfer switches (1 for the Equipment System and 1 for the EMergency System) unless the Generator is 150 KVA or less

Roger

Y
Is there any time OR exceptiopns where Life safety and critical loads can come out of the same Branch circuit panel?? I think not but just asking. Also circuits not listed as Cirical in the NEC should not be in the Critical panel also right.again I think not but just asking.
Yoopers

S
Originally Posted by Yoopersup
Is there any time OR exceptiopns where Life safety and critical loads can come out of the same Branch circuit panel?? I think not but just asking. Also circuits not listed as Cirical in the NEC should not be in the Critical panel also right.again I think not but just asking.
Yoopers
On a military base! Per uniform facilities criteria (which references the NEC as code, btw) There's no separation of life safety from other essential mission loads. If it requires generator, it's on one switchboard. Sometimes two, for redundancy.

Generally speaking:
Emergency Power = generator
Critical Power = UPS

R
Originally Posted by Yoopersup
Yoopers

You are correct in regards to both type of circuits coming from one panel, the answer is no.

The Critical Branch is actually pretty lax as to what it can serve, see 517.33.

The Life Safety Branch is specific as to what can be fed from it and this is reflected in the first sentence of 517.32

Roger

Last edited by Roger; 01/18/08 08:12 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard