ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 279 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Obsaleet #173602 01/14/08 01:15 PM
S
Originally Posted by Obsaleet
The problem is not so much the expanding and contraction, as it is the screws backing out and then causing a poor connection causing carbon causing resistance and heat untill you have enough heat for fire.

Where does the carbon come from? There's no carbon to speak of in the aluminum, in the contacts, or in the air it's immersed in.

gfretwell #173604 01/14/08 01:59 PM
K
I always have a couple of packs of the purple Ideal wirenuts in the truck. When I splice that old soft aluminum building wire I always wire brush and twist the conductors before I apply the connectors.

The major problem with the purple wirenuts is that according to the instructions, they can only be used for aluminum to copper connections, not aluminum to aluminum. So, if you have multiple aluminum wires to splice together in a box, like neutral connections, you need a lot of room for all the individual splices and the final connection for joining all copper conductors together. Very inadequate and quite a pain.

KJay #173606 01/14/08 03:32 PM
G
Alcan was at one of our IAEI meetings explaining the different alloys of aluminum and why the old style devices had problems. It basically comes down to the difference in expansion rates of steel screws and aluminum. If they have brass screws like the CO/ALr this rate is a lot closer and you don't see that problem. They were also pitching the new MC cable with the aluminum bonding wire. Time will tell on that one. I doubt that will be "wet" rated like most MC these days.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #173615 01/14/08 07:57 PM
W
Thanks guys for all your input I am checking on a supplier for all of the connectors mentioned. Thanks again

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
gfretwell #173619 01/14/08 08:59 PM
L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I imagine the first guy who had the idea for the King device just cut a little chunk off a ground bus (listed CU/AL) wink

We have been using the King connectors for all the remod and repair work, so far no problem.

gfretwell #173620 01/14/08 09:21 PM
R

Check out the link below (hope it works). I was close to taking a job this year $100k+ but being employed full time at an industrial plant time was too short. My research and numerous discussions with insurance companies confirmed there is only one method approved by the CPSC. That is the Amp/Tyco CopAlum system. Cost per device can range from $35 - $50 each!

Aluminum wiring info

rkukl #173624 01/14/08 10:06 PM
Cat Servant
I've really got to challenge the link posted by rkukl.

That link has been floating around for at least a decade .... long before King Innovations got UL listings for their connectors. At best, it's simply obsolete.

Likewise, 3M - another company known for innovation and quality - has quite a few crimp connectors listed for use with either aluminum or copper wire. Since the barrels are themselves aluminum, and the joined wires never touch each other, it ought not matter if the wires differ from each other.

The CPSC has a pretty spotty record in matters electrical. I'd hardly look to them for expertise. Moreover, their endorsement of a proprietary product is questionable at best - notwithstanding that the method is essentially not available.

Moreover, simply using an approved device ought to allow you to change from one material to another, simply by using different screws.

K
Wow…, thanks for the great link rkukl,
After reading that article over I’ll definitely be canning those purple Ideal wirenuts for good. I always thought Ideal was a reputable company, so I don’t understand how can they even market that garbage.
You take the time and try and do things properly with the approved methods and then you find out you’ve been bilked. Very frustrating. mad

KJay #173632 01/15/08 02:31 AM
G
Just remember CPSC is a politically appointed organization not a NRTL. If we can't trust the U/L evaluation of the Ideal 65 we might as well delete the word "listed" from the code.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #173647 01/15/08 01:45 PM
J
AMEN.....gfretwell

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard