ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
These code enforcement organizations have joined together to establish a testing program that will provide nationally recognized evidence of competence and professionalism in construction code knowledge.

I believe it's true Joe......

M
As alot of you know, back in July I took and passed two exams that qualifys me to be an Electrical Inspector. (Electrical General & One and two family dwelling)

When I took the exams, I took them with the expectation of failing the first time. I thought that I would find out what the tests were like and pass them on the second try.

I've got to say, I was a little disapointed that the tests were not harder. I was expecting alot more and difficult questions.

I felt that the electrical portion of the West Virginia contractors test was harder. In fact, I didn't pass it... Good thing I got the Master license. (In WV you have to pass either one or the other.)

On some other posts there was someone that was describing what they had to go through to get thier electrician's license or maybe contractors license. For example; 8 hours of testing, some of it closed book. Load calculations, wire sizing...etc.

I don't know...maybe its just me. I was just expecting alot more.

I would be interested to know if anyone else recently took the exams and what they thought of them.

I'm betting these tests are easier than they used to be.

Joe:
Thank You.
Took the IAEI, (and New Jersey) tests in '91
In NJ it's ICS & HHS
IAEI also had a "Plan Review"
Wondering if they are any harder now, or easier??

The electrical contractor test in NJ was "interesting" when I took it in '86, can't say it was easy, but I made it the first shot.

The inspector tests (3) consumed a whole day.

John

John
G
Gwz Offline
Joe,

What is your defintion of " Qualified " ?

See the 2002 NEC Section 80.27 for Inspector’s Qualifications.

(A) Certificate. All electrical inspectors shall be certified by a nationally recognized inspector certification program accepted by the Board. The certification program shall specifically qualify the inspector in electrical inspections. No person shall be employed as an Electrical Inspector unless that person is the holder of an Electrical Inspector’s certificate of qualification issued by the Board, except that any person who on the date on which this law went into effect was serving as a legally appointed Electrical Inspector of _________ shall, upon application and payment of the prescribed fee and without examination, be issued a special certificate permitting him or her to continue to serve as an Electrical Inspector in the same territory.
(B) Experience. Electrical inspector applicants shall demonstrate the following:
(1) Have a demonstrated knowledge of the standard materials and methods used in the installation of electric equipment
(2) Be well versed in the approved methods of construction for safety to persons and property
(3) Be well versed in the statutes of ________ relating to electrical work and the National Electrical Code, as approved by the American National Standards Institute
(4) Have had at least ____ years’ experience as an Electrical Inspector or ____ years in the installation of electrical equipment. In lieu of such experience, the applicant shall be a graduate in electrical engineering or of a similar curriculum of a college or university considered by the Board as having suitable requirements for graduation and shall have had two years’ practical electrical experience.

(C) Recertification. Electrical inspectors shall be recertified as established by provisions of the applicable certification program.

(D) Revocation and Suspension of Authority. The Board shall have the authority to revoke an inspector’s authority to conduct inspections within a jurisdiction.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-24-2002).]

Here's the Bulletin of Information

http://www.joetedesco.com/insp.pdf

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-27-2002).]

S
What is your defintion of " Qualified " ?

ah...the crux de la crux Glenn !

I beleive it relative.

This then begs a Q from some of you old timers (if i may be so brash..) who've seen the introduction of the IAEI tests through to present day.

Have you seen these certifications grow in acceptance ?

Is there proof of this?

or....i suppose we could all time ourselves with the latter quiz & give each other high-cyber5's... [Linked Image]

In WV you have to pass either one or the other.

Hunh?!?!?!!

I had to take both... Three times for the Masters, but got the contractor's on the first shot...

And they say ignorance is bliss...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Tom Offline
This is turning into a wandering thread.

Virgil, how do you feel about the approximate 5000 electricians in WV that never took a test? When they were grandfathered in, about 1/2 of them asked for & received a masters ticket.

Now, our inspectors will need to have a masters license in additon to whatever other credentials are required, provided the State Fire Marshal doesn't boot this one like they did with electrician licensing.

Master66, As far as the inspectors test being too easy, that just means you were well prepared. The thing I noticed about the test was you had to know a good bit of code because if you looked up every answer you would run out of time. As far as the questions being harder, I thought the ones I answered, while not really hard, did deal with the type of installations you are likely to see.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard