ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#173357 01/08/08 08:30 AM
J
john p Offline OP
I was wondering if any of you are having a hard time finding the combination type afci that are requierd as of jan 1, 2008 per 210.12B nec2005 tha box stores dont have them here and the inspectors are not going to let the ones they have be OKed.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Bryan Holland (City of North port) has an interesting survey about this on the IAEI Florida BB. He called all the local distributors and they all said they don't stock the combo AFCI. There is also some confusion about what the "combo" really means. Some manufacturers think it is AFCI/GFCI in one device, others share the NFPA definition (branch plus cord protection)

http://www.iaeifl.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4616#Post4616

Greg Fretwell
B
bb Offline
I found SquareD combo AFCI's in Menard's on 12/31/07. I thought maybe I saw some Siemens combo's as well. After all the problems that people are having with availability, I was very surprised to see about 30-40 combo breakers in stock.

L
----tha box stores dont have them here and the inspectors are not going to let the ones they have be OKed. --

Why should they? This is good for us. Show a license, get the item. Fine with me!

--called all the local distributors and they all said they don't stock the combo AFCI. There is also some confusion about what the "combo" really means. Some manufacturers think it is AFCI/GFCI in one device, others share the NFPA definition (branch plus cord protection)--

another dilema.Who's selling? who's buying? who's inspecting?

--I found SquareD combo AFCI's in Menard's on 12/31/07. I thought maybe I saw some Siemens combo's as well. After all the problems that people are having with availability, I was very surprised to see about 30-40 combo breakers in stock. ---

Were they (sq D) "homeline" or "QO"? found any 2-poles?

L
------tha box stores dont have them here and the inspectors are not going to let the ones they have be OKed. --

Does this go for the "tamper resistant" rec. aswell?

The box store items meet the requirement.
But I'm still waiting on opinions of the shutterd cover plates.

F
AFAIK my area still currently extemt[ removed ] AFCI requirement but still have plain jane AFCI on the big box store. i will check it more later when the next time i stop in few days then i will know for sure.

Merci, Marc

[ yeah we are still on 05 code for now ]

as far for TP repectales i havent see it yet not in big box store yet but some electrical supply centre do stock this but this will become common item later.

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 01/08/08 09:29 PM. Reason: add more info related to the TP

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

L
TR's here, big box store. Idividualy wrapped and about $5.99 (us) each.

Home Cheapo down on the parkway has the TRs, $6 a pop and will probably last 5 months, not spec grade devices at my locations. mad

Haven't looked at AFCIS, going to have to soon though, this place gets remodeled this/next year...

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
B
bb Offline
Leland,
SquareD combo's were in Homeline and QO, but no two poles.

S
As far as combo AFCI's it is real easy for me as Square D (whom I specify most of the time) has them on paper at least, even if they may be hard to come by. It would be nice if they also had the combination combo AFCI/GFCI.

Shane

Link Copied to Clipboard