ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Virgil,

No, really.

I also took both tests but you only have to pass one of the two electrical tests to get the contractor's license.

If you already had the Master license you would only have had to take the Business and Law portion of the contractors test.

In my case, the contractors test came earlier in the year than the master's test so I signed up to take both. Glad I did!

As for being well prepared for the Inspector's test.

While I was in business for myself, as I'm sure all of you that are self-employed do, I was use to looking up alot of things in the code book. Especially since I did do some design/build work.

Working for someone else I'm VERY afraid that my not having to do that any more is going to hurt my knoweldge of the code.

I'm using my hands more than my head now and, while it was like a vacation for a while, I'm hoping it doesen't last for ever.

G
Gwz Offline
Joe,

I think too many inspectors, Certified and non certified, just do not take enough interest in their profession to be dedicated in doing a thorough inspection.

It takes TIME and dedication to do a thorough inspection.

I've heard many comments similar to " I know that contractor, he does good work. "

That statement does not mean every employee does " good work".

Gwz

I agree!

I can only speak for myself though, and I can honestly say that when I begin an inspection, I will leave no door unopened and no place, or corner without my eagle eyes!

I always tell my students that they should begin their inspection like a corkscrew starting the inspection tour in a clockwise direction, winding up in the middle.

I like starting on the roof first, the back stairwells, and the same procedure on each floor.

PS: Don't forget the space above the t-bar and under the floor in a computer room --- now this is Misery!!
I cannot say that this would allow me to perform 40 or more inspections like some say they do in a day, but when I am through I feel that I have given my best shot.

Even with this I would agree that anyone could follow, and find something that I missed and visa versa.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Joe,
I've been looking for a new "personal project", and I'm thinking about joining the IAEI, and going through the certification process, just to say, "I did it!", and to put it on my resume.
I intent on starting by calling the area chapter President listed on the web. Do you think this is a good place to start?

Certified Loony,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
The Watt Doctor

Yes, and you won't be sorry! I am sure you too will become certified.

Good Luck!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
H
Glen I have to agree as I think by now you know who I work for but any way as the holder of most of the companys license I have to make sure that things get done and a few do get through but I find many times when my head is turned they try to get away with some of the most dumbest things. but our state does have alot to do with that as there is no unification between the differant Jurisdictions and this causes too many double standerds. like portage will want one thing and lake co. will want another gary somthing diffrent. so it is hard to get eveyone to do the same thing. I tell them just follow the code but when you have so many loco AHJ's with diffrent views as how somthing should be done then it make's it even harder. so a unifide certification program would maybe get alot of this on the same track.

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe
M
mj Offline
joe,maybe one day there will be one national standard license that will be good in all states, "federal electrical license"

S
yup, been wearing my IAEI belt buckel everyday for 6 years now....problem is very few here seems to know what the IAEI is....

H
Mj what a dreem I wish we just had a state license here in Indiana, Instead we have to get one in every town, city, county and even had a township that required a regastration fee. even though the state law wouldn't allow it

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe
F
master66-

You are the first person I'm aware of that thought the first two IAEI examinations were not difficult. I found them to be challenging examinations. Congratulations, you must have been very prepared.

Have you tried the ELECTRICAL PLAN REVIEW test?

I took it back in 1991. It was the most difficult test I had ever taken.

Frank

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard