ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#173330 01/07/08 08:49 PM
E
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to looks a a Reno for a Rental Basement Suite today.
years ago there was a suite there but the area and wiring was altered for a home based hair saloon. her Husband did the work and know they are divorced and she needs the rental income again.This basement is fully finished with with no inside access back to panel in another room. There is one 8/3 cable installed that was spliced into to run the receptacles for the saloon. and one r other circuit available.
the existing laundry area has the dryer and washer romex cables just hanging from the ceiling with the boxes on the end to plug into. The lighting are just romex to the keyless's ...no boxes.... keyless screwed to the open joist in that room.

She also wants a stackable installed in closet upstairs for her own use. this circuit will have to run on outside of home ,through Attic (2 Story Home) and droped into closet. about a 60-70 ft run.

I need at least 4 more circuits for the kitchen area.

I told her that Min we are looking at about 4000.00 (Permit.. Fed sales tax.. and provincial sales taxes) were estimated in that price.

Her Brother has just phoned me threating to Slander my Business with any agency he can report me too.

Saying that i was trying to scam her and the mentioning of the unsafe existing Electrical work.

He had a Friend look at what was involved (uncertified person) and they think I am trying to scam a poor divorce with 2 small children.

He isn't in town atm but basically said he is coming looking for me to have a Chat.

I never charged anything to go and spend over an hour there.
I mentioned a ball park figure because i could tell she needed to know something about the cost as i had pointed out so many unsafe items.

this work is all limited access or no access.

I dont feel like i should have to read word for work electrical safety acts and regulations to customers.

He has threaten to make my life hell as an Electrical Contractor , plus am concerned what he may want to call a (chat).

I said that I can always call in the AHJ to have a look. that pissed him off.

Our BC regs have put us in this position that we are suppose to report uncertified non permitted work done or if because we want to do work the legal way and another EC comes along and we lose the job because a permit wont be taken out they want to hear about this.

I said i would email a quote when I left the property and thinking this over i would of lost money at $4000.00

I will do a work up later tonight and see what i come up with

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
M
Originally Posted by electricguy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to looks a a Reno for a Rental Basement Suite today.
years ago there was a suite there but the area and wiring was altered for a home based hair saloon. her Husband did the work and know they are divorced and she needs the rental income again.This basement is fully finished with with no inside access back to panel in another room. There is one 8/3 cable installed that was spliced into to run the receptacles for the saloon. and one r other circuit available.
the existing laundry area has the dryer and washer romex cables just hanging from the ceiling with the boxes on the end to plug into. The lighting are just romex to the keyless's ...no boxes.... keyless screwed to the open joist in that room.

She also wants a stackable installed in closet upstairs for her own use. this circuit will have to run on outside of home ,through Attic (2 Story Home) and droped into closet. about a 60-70 ft run.

I need at least 4 more circuits for the kitchen area.

I told her that Min we are looking at about 4000.00 (Permit.. Fed sales tax.. and provincial sales taxes) were estimated in that price.

Her Brother has just phoned me threating to Slander my Business with any agency he can report me too.

Saying that i was trying to scam her and the mentioning of the unsafe existing Electrical work.

He had a Friend look at what was involved (uncertified person) and they think I am trying to scam a poor divorce with 2 small children.

He isn't in town atm but basically said he is coming looking for me to have a Chat.

I never charged anything to go and spend over an hour there.
I mentioned a ball park figure because i could tell she needed to know something about the cost as i had pointed out so many unsafe items.

this work is all limited access or no access.

I dont feel like i should have to read word for work electrical safety acts and regulations to customers.

He has threaten to make my life hell as an Electrical Contractor , plus am concerned what he may want to call a (chat).

I said that I can always call in the AHJ to have a look. that pissed him off.

Our BC regs have put us in this position that we are suppose to report uncertified non permitted work done or if because we want to do work the legal way and another EC comes along and we lose the job because a permit wont be taken out they want to hear about this.

I said i would email a quote when I left the property and thinking this over i would of lost money at $4000.00

I will do a work up later tonight and see what i come up with

just call the AHJ and let them deal with it...it's not anything you want to deal with...the brother is an idiot...unless he has some serious juice in the area, i wouldn't worry...

mahlere #173341 01/07/08 11:29 PM
GET OUT NOW! Do not give these people your time. Make an excuss...Like I just was awarded a extremely large job and can't fit you in till never. Sorry for the malcontent but I have no time for people like this. Serously just walk away. This is just trouble from the start.

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Obsaleet #173344 01/07/08 11:59 PM
L
I have to agree with Obsolete.
Walk now. I never walk or try not to,but this just smells bad.

If it's this bad at a walk thru...Just wait untill the work starts or the bills go out.

Nothing but trouble.

leland #173346 01/08/08 12:14 AM
Cat Servant
Call his bluff. Heck, be nice, offer to give him a lift to City Hall, the Contractors' Board, etc.

NEVER give in to terror, bullying, or extortion ... it only begets more of the same. Giving in also lets them think they're right.

And, yes, dump the job. If you feel threatened, by all means make a report with the local police ... nothing will happen now, but it will support your view if things get bad. Ditto on asking for a restraining order. If he wants to meet ... meet in neutral place, with witnesses, etc .... say, a trade association. Or, your lawyer's office.

R
I have to agree.. It does sound like someone who is trying to get something for nothing to start with by threatening you, but regardless the whole thing sounds bad and I would personally walk.. Its just not worth it

Rewired #173361 01/08/08 12:15 PM
T
I never enter into a contract if the initial phone call or meeting goes poorly. Yelling at someone about a quote isn't socially acceptable IMO. You thank them for their time and hire someone else.

Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard