ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 140 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Yes... that is a surge suppressor!

I call these by two names, they are interchangeable: trip & boom or touch & fry! You trip on the cord, it goes boom due to bad strain relief or you touch it and complete a nice ground fault circuit.

The sad thing is they make boxes DESIGNED for use with cords, they have the needed strain relief.... why doesn't anyone use them instead?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Originally Posted by hardwareguy
Yes... that is a surge suppressor!

I call these by two names, they are interchangeable: trip & boom or touch & fry! You trip on the cord, it goes boom due to bad strain relief or you touch it and complete a nice ground fault circuit.

The sad thing is they make boxes DESIGNED for use with cords, they have the needed strain relief.... why doesn't anyone use them instead?

and it looks like it's @ the end of the line to only protect itself, none of the others

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
Cat Servant
Scott, great find on the Erico part ... that's what was used!

Now, let's look at this thing from a design standpoint ... let's pretend we work at some place that lists these things ...

Using the 2-scew connectors as cord clamps would be OK if the thing was mounted in place; the connectors are listed for use with both SO and NM. "Portable" strips, though, have a higher strain relief requirement, and they would need to use the ones with the rubber bushings.

For the rest of this anaylsis, I'm going to assume this is intended as a 'portable' power strip.

The ability of the front plate to flex would bother me. I'd want some manner of bracing on the back of those boxes. This might be provided by using 'running thread' between the boxes.

I'd not be happy with the individula wires passing between the boxes like that. Something needs to protect the wires from abrasion. With the openings oriented as they are, I don't think they would need to be closed. I've seen plenty of 'listed' equipment that had wires run like that behind the faceplate.

There's plenty of screws there to work loose. I'd want to see some lock washers. At least they already ran the ground wire to each box.

As a 'power strip' it would be required to have a 15 amp breaker -not fuse- built into it. If it was for 'job site' use, it would also need GFI protection. I think you also need an "off" switch.

Using NM where flexible cord is needed is generally not allowed.

I know that UL has stated that receptacles are not evaluated for use with crimp-connectors (often used for stranded wire), but that's not the same as saying they aren't listed for the use. I think it's time the method be 'evaluated!' There are plenty of appliances that use crimp connectors internally, and I see no reason that using them on receptacles is any less effective.

As for the "trip and boom" fears ... IMO, the ability to securely mount something can make for a safer application. There's one less thing on the floor to stumble over. This is one point where I differ from UL. If Wiremold can do it, why can't the 'portable' strip makers?

P
pdh Offline
I've seen manufactured products that are roughly equivalent to this, but with a single long box plus mounting flanges for standard 19" rack panels. But are those products so much more expensive, or so hard to find, that people would resort to making their own line this? One I saw had 10 duplex receptacles and a cord with a strain relief and molded plug. But it was priced well over twice what I could make on my own with the above bracket.

Maybe an empty long box would be the better choice over 4 individual boxes that end up with single wires going through unprotected holes in DIY projects. Now we just need to get someone to make such a box and market it. It can either be an open front that comes with a full width faceplate. I'd suggest it be made with the "decora" style rectangular holes to be more flexible in the variety of devices that could be installed (including GFCI and switches). Or the box could be made with the face integrated and a big solid cover on the back that can be removed.

That wouldn't guarantee people would do it right. But it would make it easier for people on the edge to end up with something closer to right.

pdh #182771 12/09/08 07:52 PM
K
I'm surprised no one pointed out that all the receptacles are upside down! wink

thats cause the picture is upside down

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard