ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#173163 01/04/08 04:17 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hi guys,

Sorry about the title of the thread but I'm looking for some you guys that work in un-usual areas of our trade and would be looking to submit pictures of some of the weird gear you work on.
This will be put in a thread called Things We Do.
I have recently changed jobs from our local PoCo and are now working for a company inspecting and helping fit controls to Dairy sheds here.
Dairy sheds are a lot more complex than I had imagined, but it makes for great reading though.
Anyone else care to share pics with us folks?.
You are more than welcome to e-mail me pics at my email address in my profile, a good description would be great, as often, what you see here, is 9/10ths of the time what has been sent to us Moderators.
Or you could use the new Upload area provided by Bill and send me a link via PM.
All up, I just want to see what you guys are up to outside of the traditional areas of pipe and wiring, there are some good things going on, lets see them.

Last edited by Trumpy; 01/17/08 01:42 AM. Reason: Thread title edited
T
I do railway planning work which is quite unusual, but unfortunately I can't give any pictures since all I ever see is plans - I'm the CAD slave of the company. (That's right, they actually call me slave... one of the reasons why I won't get old in that company).

J
I am actually a security guy with an electrical problem, an addiction if you will, but here are some pics of what I do.

The first is an elevator card access installation, this is where the lockout happens, four cars and 22 floors.

[Linked Image from securitycomm.us]

Here is the security console at a private residence in East Hampton, NY

Here is a CCTV rack at the Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall

Here is my volunteer fire department doing a rescue drill at the local quarry, thats me in the middle with the 31 shield

(We really we not all that close to the weather head, and power was LOTO as part of the drill)

Jim

Last edited by JCooper; 01/06/08 06:51 PM. Reason: more pictures and I can't type
Trumpy Offline OP
Jim,
This is exactly what I mean!.
I take it you wired all of them controls and relays?.
That is so well set out, I nearly cried, I've become so used to seeing rough, added on to work, (sure the original install might have been good, but when the next guy comes in and cuts all the cable supports, to get his gear in.....), it heartens me to think that there still is good neat work going on out there, hence the thread I hope to start.
All you other fella's reading this, needn't be shy at all.
Our Violations area here has a tonne of bad pics, lets see some of you guys best work, doesn't need to be directly electrical either, good conduit work would fly!
Bear in mind though, although a picture is worth a thousand words, a good description when posted helps a lot.
If anyone has a problem with getting pics uploaded or whatever, send me a PM, I'll get it sorted out.

J
Mike, you are correct I landed every wire in all three of those pics. What you can't really see is in the elevator control wiring, every wire is tagged on each end with its point id and where it goes. I went through 60' of labels and 1k' of 18ga thhn, all red to make the service guys crazy!

Broom Pusher and
I am another type of "CAD Slave" - add P.M., Estimator and Injunear to the list for a complete description!!!

My new work deals with Warehouse Cold Storage + Logistics, so everything is either at freezing (0ºC), or below.

On the other end of the spectrum are Cooking Production lines, with huge processing kettles & boilers, then "Spiral Freezers" ("Tunnels").

Then there are the occasional Industrial Processing plants - like Plastics Manufacturing and such.

I will gather some job walk images to post here.

Texas Ranger

I do railway planning work which is quite unusual, but unfortunately I can't give any pictures since all I ever see is plans - I'm the CAD slave of the company. (That's right, they actually call me slave... one of the reasons why I won't get old in that company).

Man, I would really like to discuss your work with you!!!

Not sure if you know it, but i kind of like Railroads... wink

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Trumpy Offline OP
Here are some pics and info from ECN Member togol:

Ok then , we had to PM some cooling tower fans and motors..........:

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

First, make new mounts for vibration monitors, while we wait for the crane to get set...this day we had a brand new crane AND a brand new operator..set up took a while, the towers on either side are still operating.. it was also raining !:

Inside the unit, the little ladder is resting on the bad motor and if you look closely at the lights ...they all have some water in them, also the green /black slime on everything is the nasty stuff that may contain Legionnaires Disease.... but it was cool that day, around 40ºF but we wore respirators anyway, that's me staring at the motor:

In the mean time the operator finally figured out his equipment and the fan got pulled, then it got very busy because it really started raining, no one wanted to be in there very long .....so I put the camera away:

{Thanks for the pics Tom}

Trumpy #173760 01/17/08 09:32 PM
JCooper, from another 'Jersey Guy' to you..NICE

Togol: looks like an interesting situation!

Mike (Trumpy) good luck on the new endevor!

John
Trumpy #174680 02/11/08 06:21 PM
Hmm, I don't know if this counts, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL4FJlAF5IA

I'm working on getting a parallel port relay board to control some of my traffic lights , as my Lights to Go sequencer board is at its limit, and I have 9 more lights that I want to hook up. The Youtube video is my current sequence, which only has a RYG through signal and older PA-style left turn signal in one direction. (But I might add a pedestrian signal

As soon as I get the relay board, get one of these old PCs working w/ Windows 98 and get all of the individual on/off times figured out and programmed, this will become a reality. Now if I could only find that Win98 disc...

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Trumpy Offline OP
OK folks, sorry to hold out on you, I've been flat out at work lately.
Here are a few pics from the dairy sheds, I've been working in lately, the first lot are from a brand new shed, we started back in April:

First up is a pic of the Hot water system, with 2 1000 litre cylinders, these are rated at 15kW each:

[Linked Image]

Next, is the milk filters and plate cooler, these filter and cool the warm milk before it heads to the 30,000 litre silo on the other side of the wall:

[Linked Image]

In this pic, we have the pump room, with the vacuum interceptor, vacuum blower and motor (18kW), compressor for the milk recovery system, controllers and a VSD, (yeah, that pipe in the back IS crooked, it's called fall):

[Linked Image]

The pad-mounted transformer:

[Linked Image]

Name-plate from the above transformer(how is expulsion spelt?):

[Linked Image]

The temporary supply, it poured with rain the day I installed this:

[Linked Image]

Finally, here is the sunrise, looking out over the un-finished yards (wood not included):

[Linked Image]

I have a tonne of other pics, I need to have a good sort-out before I post some pics of the rotary platform and other bits and pieces.

Any questions?, go right ahead!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard