ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#173224 01/05/08 05:50 PM
The supply house out local to where I work started carrying these GFCI's not long ago... First ones I've come across with surge protection integral, not to mention on the lower left of the box "End of Life Function" (supposedly the red light comes on when the GFCI has had it!)

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

Also good to note, never connect this device to "ALUMINUN" wire grin

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

Anyone else seen these?

~Randy

Gidday Randy!,
Well, that is a new development.
Do you have to replace the whole unit if the surge suppressor "blows"?
You can get surge socket outlets here that have a little plug-in module in them and you just replace the module should it blow.
I would imagine that this sort of thing would have a device like an MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) in it as the suppressor.
One final thing, it doesn't mention what the actual clamping voltage of the suppressor actually is.

Cat Servant
I think the ad people are simply talking up the features that are standard to every GFI these days.

Most every GFI will die if it gets a substantial voltage surge; this is not to be confused with meeting any 'surge suppressor' standards that exist ... standards that are not mentioned on the package.
Sure, this 'protects' you; but the hope is that the device will survive, and continue to protect you, after the minor little spikes.

Likewise, the most recent UL standards require GFCI's to either have an 'end of life' indicator, OR fail to reset if they're not working.

Based on the packaging and the company's absolutely helpful website, I would say "stay away" from that one.

N
"Build in surge protector" and " aluminun" ? Those items are typos that result from bad translations from the original language,which does not make one wonder about the QC of the product, off breed products like that spook me. :(:(

Is the UL listing bogus or not?????

The UL sticker on the outlet itself shows E231858 which comes back as:

KCXS.E231858
Ground-fault Circuit Interrupters

GENERAL PROTECHT GROUP INC E231858
555 DAXING RD W
LIUSHI
YUEQING, ZHEJIANG 325600 CHINA

This is the same name as on the wiring instructions inside the box, but the device itself doesn't show any type of mfr name, just a symbol that looks like "bp"

K
KJ Offline
And doing a web search for 'SecurE Corporation' turns up nothing even remotely related to this product or ad,

what the price of this thing, a buck390....

W
Originally Posted by Lostazhell
First ones I've come across with surge protection integral,

I remember interviewing, 30 years ago, at a company up in Syracuse NY that made GFCIs, and they had surge supressors inside. Mainly to protect the internal electronics, though. Depending on details of the circuitry of the electronics, the surge protector might not do anything for any connected load.

that is very strange.

I posted the following on another forum regarding this companys' phony UL labels on some of their GFIs ...
----------------------------------------------------
"
Underwriters Labs is warning consumers that Zhejiang, China-based General Protecht Ground Fault Interrupters carry unauthorized UL marks..according to UL, the products have not been evaluated for safety by UL and are not eligible to carry the UL mark....

the unauthorized label has the following info:
UL Listed; Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter; Issue No. B-386,781;E231858

stop using the GFI immediately and return it to the place you purchased it
then

Contact www.ul.com
Click on "Consumers" then click "Report a problem with a UL-certified product"
methinks something is askew

also, here is another link to UL and the press release regarding said GFIs

http://www.ul.com/newsroom/newsrel/nr110507.html

Tom
Rollie. this outfit seems to be up to no good..I found the GFI info in EC&M magazine yesterday .....!!
If I was a betting man I would say these things are not even junk

Tom
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard