ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#173071 01/01/08 10:30 PM
T
My son says his house lights blink when a washing machine cycles and I suspect a loose connection or bad switching device. What is the best way to check a circuit breaker for deterioration? I've heard you can check voltage drop from line side-to-load side of a breaker using the millivolt scale. Is this a good check? Any wisdom from experience will be most appreciated.

Cat Servant
First off, this is not a DIY forum. Not to be rude ... but that's the way it is. Many of our regulars also monitor the DIY places.

Otherwise - put that meter away!. If your lights are blinking as you describe, the problem can very well involve the neutral "white" wire connections. Running that problem down is best handled with some experience - and involves at least two circuits. You're looking for a loose connection somewhere.

F
The last time I got a call like that, it was a loose neutral at the top of the pole. The lights were like being at a disco joint. If you stood by the washing machine you could see and hear the beat. lol

Thats how we do it up in the woods!

Link Copied to Clipboard