ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
KJay #173086 01/02/08 11:57 AM
E
Krone is used heavily in Europe, however it hasn't really caught on in the US very much. Verizon is using their hardware sporadically, but I've only seen it in use two times in ten years in the Washington, DC area. I've been told that it's used quite a bit more in the northeastern states served by Verizon.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I have a little 10 cent plastic tool I got with some piece of equipment that does a great job on 110 punch downs. I still use my impact tool on the 66 blocks. If you have the heavy duty 110 blocks like the TelCos used you can impact punch them (low power) but I wouldn't do it on a keystone. Like they say above, most keystones I see are self punching with a little thumb pressure. I have a pretty good assortment that I have collected over the years. The easiest to use seem to be the ones with the straight row of contacts and the little gate that opens, punching them down when you close it. I imagine the best from a signal standpoint are the ones with 2 opposing rows and clips that punch them, just because you can keep the wires very short out of the jacket. They do look the best and very compact when you get a bunch in a box.

Greg Fretwell
M
Originally Posted by EV607797
Originally Posted by hbiss
I also agree that those caps on the jacks are dust/retainer caps and not to be used for terminations.

-Hal

Interesting. ICC, ATT/Lucent/Avaya, Ortronics, Suttle and even Leviton provide instructions right on the packaging showing the use of the caps to terminate the wires. The only mention I've ever seen of them being used for retention/dust protection (?) has been as an optional item that is sold for use on patch panels. In my 25+ years playing with these things, I've never used a punch tool on a single jack, not even a non-impact or one on a low setting.

wink

I'm with the school of thought that thinks they are only for wire retention and dust blocking.
I also just read the instructions on Leviton's site for their inserts and they say to use a 110 tool, I have seen in HD they they include the little plastic 110 tool that gfretwell mentioned above in the package with the inserts.

H
Interesting. ICC, ATT/Lucent/Avaya, Ortronics, Suttle and even Leviton provide instructions right on the packaging showing the use of the caps to terminate the wires.

What do you squeeze them with?

And they also provide that little plastic tool with wall jacks for the 630 connector. Don't forget who these guys target their products for. Pros are going to know better, DIYers won't have the correct tool and will need something like that. Hey, it's better than a screwdriver blade.

-Hal

KJay #173140 01/03/08 04:35 PM
P
Originally Posted by KJay
I'm not sure if I’ve seen the Krone connection blocks before. Are they primarily a European device?
How do those differ from the 110 punch down blocks and jacks?

Most of our modern British blocks, jacks, and similar fittings use Krone terminals now. The blades of the connector are just straight in the vertical plane, and they are set in a plastic housing at an angle to the conductor.

As Hal rightly points out, 110 and Krone punchdown tools are not interchangeable!

Here are the Krone terminals on the back of one of our standard line jacks:

[Linked Image]

K
KJay Offline OP
pauluk,
Thanks for the info.
I see what you are saying about the UDC angle to the conductor. What are the functions of those components on the PC board?
Is that 3-pair just for POTS?

Sorry for all the questions. Just interested in learning something new. smile

KJay #173144 01/03/08 06:13 PM
H
Phones in those countries use 3 wires, Tip, Ring and ringer. The other side of the ringer is connected to either Tip or Ring in the phone. Over here that cap you see would be in the phone which is why we use 2 wires. R1 I believe is across T&R and I see a MOV surge suppressor.

I'm not sure if I’ve seen the Krone connection blocks before.

Verizon has been using 25 pair Krone blocks for RJ-21X demarcs for many years. I actually keep them in stock for when Verizon doesn't provide them. They also have test contacts built in that allows a test cord to open the block so that you can see if the problem is on the subscriber side or the OSP side without disconecting any wiring.

As a side note, the new Krone blocks can be terminated with a 110 blade as well as a Krone blade. Problem is if you don't know what new is always use the Krone blade to avoid damage.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 01/03/08 06:24 PM.
KJay #173166 01/04/08 06:30 AM
P
Funnily enough, I'd just sketched out this diagram a couple of days ago which Hal will have seen already:

[Linked Image]

On the end of the phone cord, the loop/speaking/dialing circuit is across red & white, with the ringer between blue & white. Pin #4 on the jacks is unused on a basic line, but is typically the earth for recall on PBX extensions. 1 & 6 (white/green pair) are only ever used in "special" applications like line seizing for auto dialers and such like.

This wiring arrangement was only introduced in the early 1980s with the opening of the market to privately owned equipment. Prior to that the 1.8uF capacitor was located in the phone, although on multi-phone extension plans (either hardwired or jack connected) there was still another wire interconnecting the phones, plus the ringers were wired in series instead of parallel.

H
Yup, that's the one. My memory was almost correct as to R1.

-Hal

K
KJay Offline OP
Thanks pauluk and hbiss,
Good information. It's interesting to see how our systems differ from each other.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard