ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
I strip the wire back, leaving a short piece of insulation on the end & give it a good twist before terminating around the screw. I run mostly conduit & always pull stranded wire. Stranded wires are always easier to pull than solid. Try pulling 8 or 9 solid 12 ga. wires through a 1/2" conduit with three or four bends.

Dave

G
Just because it says you CAN pull 9 #12s in 1/2" doesn't mean you should wink
I might do it for a short straight run but I am not a masochist. That is why they make 3/4" wink

I do agree stranded is easier to pull.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Just because it says you CAN pull 9 #12s in 1/2" doesn't mean you should wink
I might do it for a short straight run but I am not a masochist. That is why they make 3/4" wink
That is why they make wire lube. wink

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
J
In many instances you don't even have to pull stranded. I always try to push it first, if it looks possible. Only on short runs with minimal bends. When i was doing high rise condos in South Florida, we never used a fish tape in the apartments. Just pushed it all in. I have fond memeroies of those days, yound and eager. Sometimes pretty stupid too.......LOL

S
The allowance in the UL white book for stranded wire under a binding screw is CRAP!!!

It would be ok, if instructions were included in the instructions for the device, but there isn't any.

Above is opinion, not method of enforcement.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
S
From the UL White Pages, "RTRT Receptacles for Plugs and Attachment Plugs"

Terminals of the wire-binding screw, setscrew, or screw-actuated back wired clamping types are suitable for use with both solid and stranded building wires.

Click here For the whole speil

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
E
UL498 (Attachment Plugs and Receptacles) seems to refer to both stranded and solid wire for most sections, with the execption of push terminals for field wiring, which are solid only. There is a lot of "shall be wired with solid or stranded" language for the various tests. IMO, this suggests the devices should work with both, but could perhaps be lab tested in only one configuration or the other. See attached UL498 standard for reference smile

Last edited by electech; 01/07/08 01:18 PM. Reason: clarity
K
KJay Offline OP
I noticed that some posters mentioned the cost and added labor of crimp terminals as prohibitive.

Just wanted to clarify that 3M and others make very affordable, high quality, non-insulated fork and ring terminals for 12 to 10-gauge wire. These are what I like to use, since there is usually no need for the expensive insulated crimp terminals in this situation. The non-insulated terminals also take up less room and make it easier to set the devices with a box that’s less than 2-1/8" deep.
Stripping and crimping can be done with the same pliers, so I feel that single pigtail installation is as fast or faster than traditional strip, counter twist, form loop, tighten, trim excess, and the connection quality should be more consistent when there are several installers with different skill levels and connection techniques working on the same job.
If you will also be doing future service work at the facility, and need to replace worn devices, I would think that the minimal initial added expense of these terminals will be offset through the savings of time necessary to repeat the above process over again for each connection on every device. eek

JMHO

I
Originally Posted by KJay
These are what I like to use, since there is usually no need for the expensive insulated crimp terminals in this situation. The non-insulated terminals also take up less room and make it easier to set the devices

I would hate to see or work on the devices with uninsulated terms.

I would rather wrap the stranded.

Stripping and crimping can be done with the same pliers,

Only if those pliers are on the list of acceptable tools but the terminal manufacturer.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I
Originally Posted by sandsnow
The allowance in the UL white book for stranded wire under a binding screw is CRAP!!!

Well I think that is bull. smile

I can make great stranded to screw connections. Every one of them is a better connection then Wagos or backstabs.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard