ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
I agree on the face to face. You still can buy in volume even at the counter. What I was talking about is if you buy $5000 in parts annualy, you will pay more per part then someone who buys $50,000 annually. I prefer doing face to face. Unfortunently for me the nearest part counter is 100 miles and several bodies of water apart. Main supplier is in the direction and about 1200 miles. I do not always have the luxury of doing face to face.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
I know HD can beat my supplier on wire sometimes but the time I waste in there store is not worth the trouble. The rest of the stuff I get better pricing from my supplier and I know the product is better not "home owner grade". I understand HD will tell there vendors the price they will pay and then the venders try to figure out how to make a buck. Ever notice Leviton devices come in a difrent box at HD. Lowes uses Eagle. Ever try and buy a raised cover for a 4" sq at Lowes? They don't sell them? 2 aisle th big box vs supplier 20,000 sdq ft x 5 diffrent supplies. Sorry I'm loyal to my venders at this point

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
L
SparkyinAK, I see your dilema.The point is very valid in volume.

Obsaleet: Your point is well taken.
I think we all know where and how we do better.

Example, I'll buy my wire at the box store (RX), but when it comes to my 6" cans.. I get those from the supply house, much better deal, TRIMS,RI kits and lamps included.
Any extras I bring them back seperate to the box store, for "store credit". OOPS, I gave a trade secret out.
I then apply that to the wire.

S
Another thing anyone should think about purchasing is warranty matters and your personal liability when it comes to buying from a wholesaler, big box stores, and the local mom and pop hardware store. That little extra you pay can be an economical insurance policy.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
W
Just a note HD Supply is not owned by Home Depot. Although Home Depot started HD Supply they sold it (early this year, I think)Robert

Adding to my previous comments; now that other names are thrown in.....
McMaster Carr.....great catalog, really vast array of stocked items, and as a bonus...order by 11:00AM and have it delivered that same day! And the del. charges are not really $$$. A great source for hardware, tooling and odd ball stuff.

WWG, odd fuses, odd bulbs, tools, motors, relays, etc. Only electrical mat'l in a real pinch.

Cooper Electric Supply, GE Supply(locally gone), Turtle & Hughes, NIB Electric Supply (Independent Store), Powers Electric Supply (Independent Store) Rahway Electric Supply (3 store operation) All area Electrical Supply Houses

John
M
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Adding to my previous comments; now that other names are thrown in.....
McMaster Carr.....great catalog, really vast array of stocked items, and as a bonus...order by 11:00AM and have it delivered that same day! And the del. charges are not really $$$. A great source for hardware, tooling and odd ball stuff.

WWG, odd fuses, odd bulbs, tools, motors, relays, etc. Only electrical mat'l in a real pinch.

Cooper Electric Supply, GE Supply(locally gone), Turtle & Hughes, NIB Electric Supply (Independent Store), Powers Electric Supply (Independent Store) Rahway Electric Supply (3 store operation) All area Electrical Supply Houses

Hotline....Rahway was a 2 store operation (Rahway and Asbury Park) About 12 months ago they were bought by USESI....about 6 months ago, USESI was bought by CED...so, now Rahway is a 500 location company laugh

E
Wow, I haven't gone to the store to purchase supplies from HD or Lowe's on my commercial accounts in years. I either e-mail, call or fax the order in to them and it's either delivered the next day or we go and pick it up at their contractor's counter. Both accounts are NET30 with flex terms available. I agree that actually going to the stores is a major hassle, hence the reason I use the commercial sales division.

I really don't think that a spool of THHN sold at HD is any different (quality-wise) than one sold at a CED or Rexel branch. All wire has to meet the same manufacturing standards. Residential grade wiring devices? OK, maybe there is a difference in quality but I don't think it's any different from Hubbell's new Home Select product line, all made in China and sold at supply houses. Hold one of their receptacles up next to a Cooper/Eagle 270V receptacle from Lowe's and you won't be able to tell the difference (except the color of the back). You will swear that they were both made in the same factory, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

With traditional supply houses, one thing that a lot of people forget is that they are charging more than big box stores because of the quality of people that they hire. Go to HD seeking advice on a 3-pole, 45 amp bolt-in GE THQB breaker, you will get that famous "deer in the headlights" stare. A subsequent call to the manager will confirm that you aren't going to get any help there.

BUT, I can go to the store in a pinch at 9:40 on a Saturday night, pick up two black 3-way Decora dimmers, an L14-30 Twist-Lock receptacle, a Diet Coke, a pack of shower curtain (rings that my wife asked me to pick up) and a half-sheet of plywood, go through the self-checkout and be on my way. They do offer a certain level of convenience, but that is IF you know exactly what you need.

Go to Rexel or CED looking for that same breaker, they will know exactly what you are seeking. If they don't have it, chances are that they can do a stock transfer from another location by the next day. The counter person will probably also do a search to see if they have another product that's comparable that may help you out.

Go to Grainger's for the same breaker; they will have 50 of them on the shelf, but you will pay twice the price for it. The counter person might not know much about it, but you'll have it in your hands and be out the door in five minutes if you have their catalog's part number.

So, in the end, it's all relative. Like I said in my initial post, I generally buy my basic generic items, like cable and plastic boxes, from HD or Lowe's. They have more purchasing power to keep the prices down on these items. It's not always the cost of the items themselves since that's relatively consistent. It's the level of support and local inventory availability that affects pricing being charged.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
M
when we used a lot of romex, we'd buy from HD or Lowes...it was worth it...but these days we are 95% MC or EMT...i get better prices at the supply house...and for the odd coil of romex, it's just easier to have it delivered...the $10 savings isn't worth the aggravation of going to the HD or Lowes...

L
---and a half-sheet of plywood, go through the self-checkout and be on my way. ----

SO, your that guy. I always get stuck behind you!!!:)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard