ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pauluk Offline OP
"'Elf & Safety" strikes again, this time in a town just over the other side of the county from here.

Surely a lamp post in so poor a condition that it can't support a couple of flower baskets must be in danger of imminent collapse anyway?

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/storyrss.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=NOED14%20Sep%202007%2018%3A06%3A04%3A367

Originally Posted by pauluk
"'Elf & Safety" strikes again

grin

A few good welds in the right places and a coat of paint, what's the problem?

I hate it how authorities these days just throw a blanket ban on ANYTHING remotely harmful, I mean, how often will a street light post just fall over?
Can't say I've ever seen it happen.

Last edited by Trumpy; 12/20/07 01:24 PM. Reason: Typo
L
Lunacy indeed.

Here (Massachusettes,USA) a week or so ago, the Polititions wanted all welcome home banners (for the troops) and Flags etc. removed from (inside) overpass fences.
They were afraid that they will fall on a passing motorist and blind them, causing tragic results.

The sad part.. The only thing that falls from bridges here and hits motorists... Is the concrete from the bridge itself.

S
Although I can see the logic in their thinking, That is just dumb. There is other things they can do instead of making everyone take down the signs.

Back in Michigan years ago, a local citizen turn his house and property into a anti political poster by placing litterly 100's of signs on his house, trees, and lawn that took pot shots and the city's government. From his popularity and not wanting everyone else jumping on the bandwagon, the city council pass a sign ordinanace and made it public knowledge that it will be enforced. In typical fashion, they were short sighted with it and wound up effecting local businesses.

One of them was a car dealer who had tall flagpole for a huge American they flew in the summer time. In the winter the winds were too strong. It was an awesome site rolling into town and the big flag was fliping in the wind like watching it in slow motion. The ordinance was written to include flags in general. Even though they had the flag prior to the ordinance. The city threatened legal action because it exceeded the dimensions allowed and the flag in their opinion was erected after the ordinance was put in place. In other words, if the dealer raised and left the flag on the pole prior to the ordinance, there was no problem. Since they raised or "erected" in the spring after the ordinance was passed, the dealer was in violation of the ordinanace.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
I can sort of see a wee bit of merit in a ban like this, but not much.
As an ex-line mechanic who has installed and repaired hundreds of streetlight poles, it worries me that authorities seem to make their own rules these days, I bet no-one bothered to ask anyone "in the field" about the posts.
There are a lot of people in this world that are sick and tired of all of the constant "safety" warnings tendered these days and to a certain degree, they make everyone feel like children.
Why don't they just go for one blanket warning to cover it all:

Warning: We may deem you too stupid to effectively contribute to society, please ensure that you remain indoors at all times and never leave the safety of your home.
You can still pay your taxes on-line.

If this was affixed to the inside of every front door the world over, imagine the nice safe world we would live in.

GRRRRR. [Linked Image]

S
Originally Posted by Trumpy

Warning: We may deem you too stupid to effectively contribute to society, please ensure that you remain indoors at all times and never leave the safety of your home.
You can still pay your taxes on-line.

If this was affixed to the inside of every front door the world over, imagine the nice safe world we would live in.

GRRRRR. [Linked Image]

If we were to do that, who would run the government?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Originally Posted by sparkyinak

If we were to do that, who would run the government?

We would have people elected on a net ballot system, based on preformance(sp?), you get to vote off your local people by text message at the end of the day, not unlike Big Brother lol.
"Why is that guy in that job?, he can't even do simple plumbing for $150K a year?" [Linked Image]

Cat Servant
It appears that everyone has missed the irony .... of the 'government' writing a rule to tell the 'government' what to do!

Apart from 'lost dog' posters, every sign, banner, trash can, flower basket, etc. that I have seen on a lamp post was placed there at taxpayer expense.

Even in the nicest parts of civil England, I seriously doubt that gangs of wayward youth run about at night, hanging flower baskets from poles laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard