ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
gfretwell #172841 12/27/07 10:31 PM
K
I been told that back before rotary phase converters were available, a lot of old timers that lived out in the boonies would run three phase equipment in their wood shops by making a static synchronous phase generator using a second junk three phase motor and connecting one winding that was out of phase with the drive motors enough to create the third leg.
I have no idea if this is allowed anymore, or what it does for power factor, motor heating, etc., but met a guy from Vermont probably 15 years ago that did just this in his woodshop.
Since this was probably once a fairly common practice, maybe you could find an old timer industrial electrician in your area to help you hammer out the details to do it safely. wink

KJay #172844 12/27/07 11:49 PM
T
twh Offline
The static phase converters that I've used have a note on the door that the motor only develops 2/3 of it's rated h.p. if your 5 hp motor will only do as much work as a 3 hp, is it still worthwhile?

twh #172850 12/28/07 02:07 AM
Phil,
My advice before you do anything with this motor, is dismantle it and have a good look at the seals,bearings and armature.
You say it has run before, but it is not clear when.
Bearing races can get distorted if left in the one place for any length of time, this can affect how well the armature turns within the narrow gap between the rotor and the stator and that gap is not that much.
To merely run the thing is inviting disaster.
The other thing that concerns me a tad, is that using an older type motor, the power factor of that motor isn't going to be that great, motors have improved considerably over the years.
The actual in-rush current would be a lot larger, than for a modern motor of the same rating.
Personally, I wouldn't use a phase converter on any motor unless it was the last resort, the reason for that being, converters have a habit of inducing harmonic currents into the lines supplying them.
What I would go for is a new motor and a Variable Frequency Drive, built for your voltage and load in mind.
No use mucking around, mate, it would save tears in the end.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Last edited by Trumpy; 12/28/07 02:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Trumpy #172864 12/28/07 01:15 PM
J
Ausador....If what you say is true, knowone should give any advice on this forum. This is a discussion forum and knowone can be singled out for giving good information or bad information. It is what it is, a forum. Most of the members are proffesionals.

VFD's are no harder to program than connecting the motor. Some VFD's are challenging, but for most it is very simple. I have had many customers that were afraid to try VFD's. To show them how easy it is to set up, I told them I could teach anyone that spoke english and had fingers, could program the VFD to start, stop, ramp up and ramp down in a matter of minutes.
I have never failed with this approach. Also, I am more than happy to assist in programming here on this site. All I need is the brand and model number.

ausador #172893 12/29/07 08:37 AM
I
Originally Posted by ausador
JValdes so perhaps he can buy a VFD for approximately the same price as the motor in question, (but I doubt it).

Regardless of your doubts it is a viable option that should be considered.

You are talking to people you do not know on the internet, please give the simplest and most correct answer possible.

"Most Correct"????

That is strictly a matter of opinion.

Either replacing the motor or producing a third phase are 'correct' answers and I bet there are other correct options as well.

Neither I, this site, nor you I am sure wants to be sued for giving bad or hard to follow advice.

No, but advising to change the motor is no different from advising to produce a third phase. Either method can be done wrong and result in injury.

In this case the answer is simple and obvious, unless the motor is part of a larger and listed assembly then junk and replace it.

That is one opinion, John is also entitled to his.

In general I am a keep it simple guy and think VFDs are being overused but that is just my humble opinion. smile

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
iwire #172897 12/29/07 01:29 PM
J
Thanks Bob.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard