ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 597 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
Hmmm ... maybe that's the cause of the confusion .. the real cause of the 'scorched wires.'

Foams, whan they cure, give off heat. In a foam-in install, temps inside the foam can exceed 200F easily ... which is about where PVC (what makes the outer jacket) starts to break down.

Maybe, just maybe .... they're fixing the wrong problem???

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I am not even sure we should be using that foam in the first place. Some of it is pretty nasty when it burns. In my wife's typical 2500-3000 sq/ft house they would shoot 6 or 7 cans of that foam, based on the dead soldiers I saw laying around.
The MSDS for "Great Stuff" says combustion products include but are not limited to oxides of nitrogen,isocyanates, hydrogen cyanide, CO and CO2.

Greg Fretwell
K
KJay Offline OP
Now that I have the actual 2008 code book and can read the full text of article, it’s clear that 334.80 refers directly to Table 310.15[B][2][a] and not to article 310.15 itself, so the 24-inch rule doesn’t apply to in the case of running multiple cables through the same hole.
I guess we will need to drill more holes to keep the number of current carrying conductors in each hole to 9 or less, for the 70% ampacity adjustment, to avoid having to upsize the conductors. Seems like it shouldn’t be too difficult to comply with this.

Cat Servant
K, I won't say you're wrong ... or that I disagree with you ... or, for that matter, anyone else in this thread. The NEC is so poorly written, with such bad grammar, that I'm not sure what it's trying to say.

As I read the references, it's saying "if you drill a hole more than 2 ft long through wood, pull a cable through the hole, and cap it with foam, you have to treat those wires as if they were in pipe."
That's a very long drill bit! laugh

What I think they were trying to say was "If a wall cavity is more than 2 ft long, is packed with insulation, as well as sealed with foam, we want you to consider the cavity as if it were pipe." That sort of makes sense ... but that's not what the code says.

As I see it, this issue only arises immediately above, and below, a panel - and then, only if the panel is on an outside wall.

I once worked for a company that is very heavily involved in the code process. Their Personnel Director made it clear that they only were interesting in hiring engineers and accountants. "What good is an English degree?" was the comment made. (No comment on that example of poor grammar! laugh ) Well, looking at our codes, I think there is a greater need than ever for code panels to include someone with a degree in English!

G
You probably get more guidance from the ROP and ROC. They make it clear they are taking about any penetration through any framing member if it is sealed with insulation or "caulk".

Greg Fretwell
H
There's some discussion of this on page 49 of this months (Jan. 8) issue of Electrical Contractor magazine. That article supports what KJay is saying.

H
Just to clarify I meant what KJay is saying in his 1/3 & 1/14 posts.

G

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard