ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#172648 12/22/07 10:46 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Looks strange to see a run of conduit with weather heads at both ends, fed by other conduit with more weather heads.
Bob (wa2ise)

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

L
Just cleaning out the shop?

Changed from overhead to underground, and the new riser couldn't be placed next to the old one?

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
A
Had one like that locally. The point of attachment / service drop could not be relocated. The metering had to be located around the corner from the drop due to the size of the metering. The pipe in between is for protection going around the corner. It should have been piped all the way around with an LB at the corner. Looks like cr** frown . one thing to watch for is if the conduit is metal it must be bonded.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
S
I seen a few like that. I think that the reasoning is too that the service was relocated and it was goobered back together. Our local school has something similar. It appears the an older service was originally an overhead drop and was upgraded with a lateral service. Instead of running the underground all the way back to the main, they ran it up the old pole to a weather head and just connected the weatherheads together. Makes sense, right?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
E
definetly an oh/ug conversion, although I have seen older services that had a strike on one corner of the building, and a double headed piece of conduit, with conections bugged by the ec at the other end to get to the meter, guess it was cheaper and easier than running conduit the whole way... not really a danger, IMO, but really ugly

-Will

R
I have seen that where they have gone from O/H to U/G many times here in the city where they can't change the original point of entry / metering because it would be impractical.
OR in regards to that double headed piece of pipe, I have seen that done where the PoCo changes the overhead drop a bit and for whatever reason and the new drop /point of attachment would end up being too close to a window / door / balcony or yet again, too far from the original point of attachment / metering..

I can't say I have seen one this ugly though wink

A.D

E
We see that done a lot around here in historic districts where overhead utilities are no longer permitted. Alexandria, VA is a city where they don't allow anything new to be installed overhead.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."

Link Copied to Clipboard