ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 379 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#172639 12/22/07 09:15 PM
K
KJay Offline OP
Anyone use the little copper Buchanan 2006S and 2011S splice caps for making up grounding wire connections in receptacle and switch boxes?
These are very popular here in my area, but I don’t see too many guys using the correct tool to install them.
Buchanan lists their C24 4-way indenter crimp tool as the only tool available to make a proper connection. Using the C24 definitely makes a much more positive and durable crimp.

Just wondering if any inspectors have ever failed a job for improper installation of these sleeves, because of not using the correct crimp tool?

TKX

G
If that is what I am thinking of I have seen them crimped with that crimper on your Kleins and yes I failed them if I could pull a wire out (usually). I do have an old Amp 4 pin crimper that does a great job on the next smaller version of this sleeve. It is easy to see the difference when you look at the crimp they provide.

Greg Fretwell
R
I use them all the time. Leaving multiple tails on multi-gang applications make for a simpler installation.
From what I remenber the paperwork with the Ideal brand lists a standard single dimpling tool, like the indenter on your Kleins, as an acceptable crimp method.

G
Maybe I just ran into wimpy electricians but usually there was at least one loose wire in a sleeve with one dimple in it. I have really only seen it a few times. Usually folks just used a wirenut. That may be a local preference.

Greg Fretwell
R
I tightly twist about 2-3" of the grounds first.
It would be difficult to pull one out even without the crimp sleeve installed.
The down side is trying to remove the sleeve if needed.

K
KJay Offline OP
Redsy,
The Ideal crimp sleeves are “similar but different” from Buchanan’s.
The Ideal are like the T&B Holub sleeves, which are made of coated steel. They can also be crimped with a number of different crimp tools according their manufactures.
Buchanan’s on the other hand are all copper crimp sleeves, and even though I think they are part of Ideal Industries now, Buchanan’s instructions still only lists one tool as suitable for installing these copper sleeves, that being their C24 4-pin indenter crimp tool. You can also use the C24 on those other brands of crimp sleeves though.
I use all three brands, but prefer the copper Buchanan’s because they don’t get rusty over time like the coated steel type can when used in something like an outdoor fixture box.

N
Ideal owns the Buchanan brand.

M
The only time I ever found inspectors requiring Buchannon 4 point crimps was when working down in the area that Gfretwell is located in, specifically the next town down the road from Estero, ... Naples Fla. Them guys always checked for stuff like that. I like it when inspectors do a through inspection.

W
I use these all the time for the grounds and permanent conections.
My 4 point Buchannon crimp tool is over 35 years old and still works like new (it gets oiled occasionally).
As with all connections, twist them first and I have never had one fail.
They are very easy to remove, just use the lineman's pliers from the side and flatten it down, then do the same 90 degrees from the first. Repeat this about three times and it will split right open.

L
Never use them. The "greenies" have never failed.

WNYJIM: Do you guys use insulated staples yet?

My brother out there, gave him a stock list... Said they were "special order". Shook my head and asked him to get staples. (8 yrs ago).

Last edited by leland; 12/23/07 09:37 PM. Reason: WNY
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard