ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LarryC Offline OP
What are the regs for using extension cords for portable equipment in a brewery in Belgium? The instrumentation on the cart is to be rolled out of the area before any washdowns occur.

I am suppose to spec a suitable 15 meter extension cord to power up a 12 A chiller plus four other 1 A loads.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,
Have a look at IEC 309, I am making a huge assumption that this is single phase 230V you are after.
IEC 309 is the standard for IP56 (NEMA6) rated connectors, they also carry 16A.

D
djk Offline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_4343

EN 60309 "CeeForm" plugs are generally used for those kinds of scenarios.
These were adopted by the IEC as IEC 60309 (transposing the European standard).

They were adopted originally in the 1960s in the UK as BS4343 and as various other standard numbers in other EU countries. These are all superseded by EN 60309, which is acceptable across the EU.

Just ensure that your connectors are to that standard and not any other.

I would suggest that you contact the customer for advice as they may require a higher than normal IP rating depending on the circumstances.

Single phase 230V - Blue
Three Phase 400V - Red

There's an ABB catalogue for those connectors : http://library.abb.com/GLOBAL/SCOT/SCOT296.nsf/VerityDisplay/12B61B88C2F36C37C1256FFF0077B723/$File/2CMC700001C0201_A_en_Short_Form_Catalogue_29004.pdf

Like NEMA, they come in a LOT of configurations with various pin layouts and keying options.

It's not usually permitted to use any other type of connector in an industrial environment.

Irish regs go as far as requiring them for ALL outdoor setups as BS1363 is considered a shock hazard in a rainy environment due to the proximity of the pins to your fingers and the low IP rating of rewirable plugs.

So, you'll see blue 16A ceeform connectors on patio heaters, xmas light installations etc etc..

Last edited by djk; 12/08/07 06:45 AM.
D
djk Offline
You can get reels like these

[Linked Image from waterfordhire.com]

Various connector setups like :
http://www.olson.co.uk/iec309.htm

Most of these would have "3 Core 2.5mm² Arctic Grade" cable

[Linked Image from justgenerators.co.uk]

You might be best to ask for local advice in Belgium though as wiring regulations across europe while fairly harmonised are not absolutely identical.

Regs on industrial setups in particular can be fairly tight and US equipment can be way off standard.

I couldn't stress how important it would be to ensure that your customer gives you advice.

Can you supply the gear to the customer without connectors and with connection instructions?

P
More BS4343/IEC309/CEEform connectors here:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Plugs_and_Sockets_Industrial_Index/index.html

As Dave says though, aside from general electrical standards there can be specific additional requirements for specific types of commercial establishment (in the U.K. theatres, mines, filling stations, etc.). No idea about Belgium, I'm afraid.

W
The blue connector combinated with 3 x 2,5mm² H07RNF (rubber cable) will be okay. Btw it is much more common than in Germany. F.i. every machine in a standard super market's wet area is connected that way.

Be aware of the fact that Belgium still has a lot of places with 3 x 230V TT-system. I.e. 2 live wires + PE(ground), no neutral. Then blue is a live wire.

I wish they had those types of connectors in USA... Those seem more durable than the regular straight blade plug and connector we use here.

~Matt

I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.
T
Yes - they are simply industrial grade connectors. The system specifies a great number of variations for different voltages, frequencies and amperages. 63A and up even have a pilot contact to control a contactor switching off the load when the plug is pulled.

A few examples: purple is for low voltage (48V I think), yellow is 120V between conductors, blue is 230V, red 400V.

N
Originally Posted by TOOL_5150
I wish they had those types of connectors in USA... Those seem more durable than the regular straight blade plug and connector we use here.

~Matt

Check a Hubbell catalog for Pin & Sleeve connectors. $$$

P
The BS4343 connectors here are cheap in the small, commonly used versions, such as 2P+E 16A 110V yellow (building site power tools) and 2P+E 16A 240V blue (mobile home/trailer hookups). Plugs in those sizes/configurations are typically only about £2 ($4) each.

When you get to the larger ones though, prices go through the roof. I've just ordered a 2P+E 125A 240V blue plug for a generator hookup -- £85 ($170) each! shocked

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard