ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
I have a tablet PC that doesn't have a cd drive. I know for obvious reasons they want the CD in the drive for the NEC software out there. Has anyone seen NEC on CD for computers that will allow you to put the whole thing on hard drive and pull it up with out needing to lug along my external? Or is there a work around?

R
You can do that with the 2005 handbook. Not sure how they will set up the 2008.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
J
You can look into emulation software, it lets you take an image of the cd and it appears on the system as a cd in a drive

J
Jps1006 Offline OP
Don, your answer is actually what I was hoping to get. So if I go to the bookstore on this site and order the CD for $93 and some odd change, that is the one your talking about?

R
Jps,
No, you need the handbook (the one with the code and commentary)...the $169.95 on at the site bookstore for the 2005 code. The license permits you to install it on 2 computers.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
FWIW, I have the '08 CD...it's loaded into a desk top and my laptop. (NFPA 'allows' 2 set-ups)
CD remains in the office.

Lap top also hase '02 & '05 loaded, and '05 Handbook.
Waiting for '08 Handbook CD...

John
R
John,
So you are permitted to load the NEC on two computers this this year? In 2005 you could only do that with the handbook.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
thanks guys, very helpful. I think I'll get myself a Christmas present. I wanted the handbook.

Any clue what the license says about public display? Can I use the material for a classroom? At some future time I'd like to get a projector and have code sessions with the guys. Between you and me and the other thousands of hits on the site I'll do it regardless of the license, but I'm just curious if any one knows. Is it screen size or audience size that requires permission?

Maybe I'm thinking of the NFL where you aren't supposed to show the game in public on a screen over 52" or something.

S
Originally Posted by Jps1006
Maybe I'm thinking of the NFL where you aren't supposed to show the game in public on a screen over 52" or something.
So I shouldn't be inviting my neighbors over to watch the games this coming week on my new 65" 1080p DLP HDTV? They probably don't want me saving it on the DVR and skipping the commercials, either, I'd imagine...

J
Jps1006 Offline OP
The topic came up on a radio show last year when a superbowl charity event was canceled because of licensing or rebroadcast restrictions. Now I wish I remembered the details. They got into how the bars were supposed to pay royalties on games on TV's over a certain size and how churches that were having superbowl parties on the jumbotron were also in violation..

But this might all be NFL specific, not copyright law and have nothing to say about me bringing the NEC to church to show on the jumbotron.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard