ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ComputerWizKid), 331 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#172548 12/21/07 12:36 AM
G
I am looking for information on constructing or inspecting sign other than neon. Namely LED signs. The IAEI has an excellent book on neon but I can't find anything on signs other than neon. Thanks in advance.

George Little
G
Neon is enough different from garden variety incandecent and flourecent to require special treatment (13kv for one thing)
LED should not really add any extra dangers.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
UL is sending it's folks around the IAEI circuit discussing LED signs.

Despite various assertions ("LED's have trouble with heat"), any special worries are addressed at the testing / classification stage. When installed in the field, there ought not be any concern for the AHJ beyond looking for the UL label and checking the overcurrent protection and mounting.

S
I just had to respond (rant) about this topic.

Yes it is a listed product so it has been investigated by UL.

Then what happens???

Well if you're in my part of the country, the manufacturer and installer (who are usually one in the same) go ahead and ignore whatever was in the follow up agreement. They just do what the y think is right. All they want is that UL sticker to put on their sign so the inspector will buy off on it.

I will tell you that the UL sign listing program is an ABSOLUTE joke!!! And I don't care who hears me.

I've turned in close to 100 signs that did not meet UL manufacturing requirements. Did anything happen?

NO!!!!!

EDIT Add: I should say the local UL inspector came out, but in the big picture, nothing happened.

Signs are not that hard. If it is a section sign ask for the installation instructions. They are to be furnished with every section sign per UL 48.

Do manufacturers include them ? NO!!!!

Do most inspectors know to ask for them? NO!!!

Do installers know what they are???? NO!!!!

So I don't care if it's an LED sign or neon. Ask for the installation instructions!

If it is a self-contained sign, then all you have to worry about is the field wiring compartment. Does it have one???

If the primary wiring is visible in the same compartment as the neon or LED then it is wrong!!!

Last edited by sandsnow; 01/07/08 12:40 AM.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA

Link Copied to Clipboard